Healthy Eating Tips

Can The Apple Cider Vinegar Diet Help You Lose Weight?

Apple cider vinegar health benefits

Many of you have already heard that raw, organic, and unfiltered apple cider vinegar can assist in weight loss and overall well-being. The apple cider vinegar diet is probiotic, and has many additional health benefits. Here we explore how the apple cider vinegar diet as part of a healthy lifestyle can help you lose weight while at the same time, acting as a tonic for the body.

Although many fad diets that create rapid weight loss have come and gone over the years, it is encouraging to note that the apple cider vinegar diet leads to gradual weight loss. It would be nice if we could shed pounds quickly and never see them again, but experience has shown that weight that leaves easily comes back easily.

The apple cider vinegar diet

If you lose weight quickly, your body will oblige you by kicking in mechanisms to make it more likely this weight will slip back on in no time. But if you can be patient and do not expect instant results, your fat cells will adjust to their new size more willingly and not insist on contributing on your waistline. The apple cider vinegar diet is perfect for this.

A great way to learn to love ACV!

Apple Cider Vinegar Drinks e-book

Apple Cider Vinegar Drinks for Health & Energy
Enjoy the Benefits of ACV with Tonics, Mocktails, and Smoothies
with 25 Easy Recipes

Now available for Kindle (can be read on any device)

Take it before meals
When you give it some thought, it makes good sense that drinking apple cider vinegar before meals would help with weight loss. Apples are a good source of pectin, and including pectin in your diet can make you feel fuller and more satisfied. Since apple cider vinegar contains the same amount of pectin as apples (one apple has about 1.5 grams pectin), it can suppress your appetite in a similar way.

There is also good science behind why apple cider vinegar would encourage weight loss even more effectively than eating raw apples. In general, acids help with the digestion of protein, the building blocks for some of our hormones, especially growth hormone.

We’ve seen how this hormone is instrumental in breaking down fat cells. By increasing the acid present in your stomach before a meal, you’ll ensure the chances for thorough digestion and increase the availability of protein for hormone synthesis.

Protein utilization
Greater protein utilization helps the formation of growth hormone, the substance that keeps the body’s metabolism going while we’re at rest. This is why it is important to drink apple cider vinegar before or with your evening meal.

Stimulates digestion
Because apple cider vinegar stimulates digestion, it also reduces the amount of time that fats remains in the digestive tract. It’s important that your body gets a chance to remove key nutrients from your food, and conditions that contribute to diarrhea can be life-threatening.

At the same time, it can be unhealthful to have food remain in the intestines for too long. If fats present longer than necessary during digestion, more fats will be absorbed.

Apple cider vinegar works at the very beginning of the digestive process to stimulate your appetite and increase your interest in food. Normally, you wouldn’t think of this as being the direction you want to go in if you’re trying to lose weight. But apple cider vinegar works positively to support your efforts by increasing your interest in whole foods.

Utilization of iron
ACV can improve the body’s utilization of iron, a nutrient that acts like fire-starter for fuel. Iron is a key component in substances that carry oxygen to the cells and hold it there. It’s the ability of apple cider vinegar to increase iron utilization and energy consumption in the body that makes it such a supportive food for weight loss.

A great source of potassium
Apples are a great source of potassium, and likewise, apple cider vinegar, taken on a regular basis, will contribute the potassium you need to help balance the sodium in your diet. In fact, try replacing salt in your diet with apple cider vinegar. Use it to top foods you might be tempted to salt, such as vegetables or protein foods. A little vinegar over a plate of beans is a regional favorite in many parts of America.

Recommendation for losing weight with the apple cider vinegar diet

Here is my recommendation for using the apple cider vinegar diet to lose weight, based on the work of Dr. Jarvis and others:

• 1 to 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar + 8 ounces water *
  • Drink before meals 3 times a day

* Though this author recommends 1 to 2 teaspoons of ACV per cup of water, other sources call for 1 tablespoon per cup of water or other liquid, and that seems to be what VegKitchen readers have found most effective.

Excerpted from Apple Cider Vinegar for Weight Loss & Good Health* by Cynthia Holzapfel (Book Publishing Co.), reprinted by permission.

Pin for Later

How Does Apple Cider Vinegar Help You Lose Weight?

*This post contains affiliate links. If the product is purchased by linking through this review, VegKitchen receives a modest commission, which helps maintain our site and helps it to continue growing!

You Might Also Like

1,743 Comments

Vanessa
    October 19, 2017 at 9:40 am

I have been taking acv for about 2 months now and have not exercised much other than walking, lost about 11pounds and what’s amazing is my face is so clear! Love it! I drink 1 tablespoon of acv with 8 ounces of COLD water because I’ve tried it warm and I about gagged on it plus if feels so refreshing when it’s cold! Then I add maybe a teaspoon of honey in a small cup with not even a quarter of a cup of hot water mix it well so honey can melt and become watery then add it to my drink and this definitely helps from it being so strong and it’s a little more enjoyable! I drink this 3 times a day 20 minutes before a meau. I’m also drinking a cup of green tea sometime in the middle of the day and this method feels like it’s helping me! Which I’m so happy because it’s really hard for me to loose weight! So all you who want to try it or are trying it y’all hang in there this really does work! And don’t worry you will slowly get use to the taste!

Darlene
    October 20, 2017 at 6:38 pm

Regarding vinegar acid properties, regular vinegars ingeneral are Acid , BUT ACV is a “Base” which is Alkaline. There is a distinction between types of vinegars.

Steve
    October 22, 2017 at 6:47 pm

With calorie cutting,and Apple cider vinegar.You will lose weight, faster. You can lose weight, with just calories cutting but the vinegar help speed up the process with the calorie defecit. Exercise will help with toning, in most cases.

Justin Faraday
    October 23, 2017 at 4:42 pm

Hi Cynthia, great article. I had no idea that apple cider vinegar had that effect. I’ve read that honey is great for weight loss too, especially when you eat it right before bed. Honey has the ideal ratio of glucose to fructose for synthesizing glycogen in the liver, which allows us to stay in fat-burning mode while we sleep. Plus, it tastes great with apple cider vinegar!

Sandhya
    October 24, 2017 at 9:08 am

Is it ok to drink in empty stomach as 3 times before meal means 1 before brkfst.kindly advice

Foz
    October 24, 2017 at 12:02 pm

Started drinking honey acv and half a mug of water combined about days ago. Still waiting to see some weight loss. However i will be attempting to drink this befor each meal from now

Liz
    October 27, 2017 at 9:36 am

Extremely helpful article, thank you Cynthia.

Great to read through all these comments too. Don’t see many comment sections these days. Thank you everyone for all your suggestions.

Cassandra Yanezfamily361
    October 27, 2017 at 10:36 am

I have started this on tuesday but havent gotten any results however i am gettin accumstomed to the horrible smell and the ugly taste is going away

Debbie
    October 30, 2017 at 8:34 am

I had been drinking 2 tspns of filtered acv with either warm water or fruit juice 3 times a day for about 2 weeks, my stomach was less bloated and bowel problems seemed to settle. I switched to an organic acv a few days ago, not sure if it was just coincidental or not, but I have felt extremely bloated. I switched back to the filtered acv tonight and am already feeling much better. The unfiltered acv is usually recommended, can anyone tell me if there is much difference between the two?

Tammie C. Guevara
    November 4, 2017 at 12:44 am

I tired to drink Apple Cider Vinegar with lemon favor the taste and tried Garica Cambogia follow director i didn’t lose no weight.
    Been faith to it. I take one morning 0ne night not work st all i did this for month. But, my fsce cleat up that prove.
    So, I stop. I am allergic Gracia Cambogia. I break out of my skin could not sleep.
    I am going to tried Organic Apple Cider Vinegar let see can help me to lose weight. I weight 180 pound i am sick of myself look of myself. But, I do my best and tired. Here what Dr. Oz I don’t believe everybody different shape size tall and short.
    I am 60yrs old i been same since high school. I have heart attack 2014.
    I am going to have fun for myself.
    ACV
    I see you later ladies and gentlemen.
    Thankyou
    Tammie G.

Coretta Johnson
    November 5, 2017 at 6:23 pm

I’m going to try this with my blood pressure medicine and hope it helps if I loose weight that will be a plus

Coretta Johnson
    November 5, 2017 at 6:27 pm

I hope it works for my blood pressure

Shelley
    November 6, 2017 at 4:20 am

I’m really wanting to lose weight, but i really need to know if this apple cider vinegar works as I’m training to box for cancer research

Jee
    November 6, 2017 at 8:44 am

Just read through loads of these comments, such a great help. Thanks

Looking forward to trying this.

Renae
    November 6, 2017 at 2:28 pm

How can I make it to where I can actually drink it without tasting the acv so much. I can’t drink it without it burning my throat and making gag? I’ve try it with honey (yucky) tried it with more water with honey and lemon juice(triple yucky). please let me know something if you know of a trick or a good recipe that can make it at least kind of enjoyable to drink. Thanks

Debbie
    November 7, 2017 at 7:08 am

Renae, I add acv to half a glass of my favorite fruit juice and a dash of hot water to take the chill off. Can barely taste it and no burning sensation.

Doryn
    November 10, 2017 at 3:44 am

Have tried the honey acv a week now, but am getting serious diarrhoea. Should I stop it or I continue , I will stabilise with time?

Sally
    November 10, 2017 at 6:25 am

I have been having ACV twice a day: once 1st thing in the morning & the second before going to bed. I am also walking about 4 miles a day. Have been following this routine for 10 days. Havent seen any weight loss yet, but do feel a lot more energetic!
    Will try this routine for 30 days & lets see …

KALAI
    November 11, 2017 at 8:23 am

THIS COMMENTS ARE GIVING POSITIVE THOUGHTS TO LOSS WEIGHT… I AM GOING TRY THIS BY TODAY

Christina
    November 13, 2017 at 11:41 am

When I drink this stuff,I don’t breath through my nose, but my mouth. Then I cannot taste it. Right away ,after finishing the acv, I drink some water or juice and after I breath through my nose, no taste of the acv. Just a tip for ppl out there that are sensitive to this:)

Ladyposh
    November 15, 2017 at 6:32 am

I started taking the apple cider vinegar with warm water but no honey,attached with gyming I want flat belly and my arms come down a big

Gina.
    November 19, 2017 at 9:17 pm

I tried this today for the first time however I added 2 ice cubes, it really wasn’t bad. I will keep you all posted.
    I do go to the gym at least 3 times a week.

Tessy
    November 22, 2017 at 12:53 pm

I am currently taking ACV. It’s helps with digestion and weight loss.

Melodie
    November 27, 2017 at 8:40 pm

I started 1 tbsp ACV with water, it has helped my heartburn and indigestion tremendously. I haven’t noticed any weight loss.

Cecilia Espinoza
    November 29, 2017 at 12:11 am

Can’t wait to try it but kind of scared because I don’t know how my body is going to react now that I don’t have my gallbladder any tips?

Jamie
    November 29, 2017 at 5:05 pm

I started this going on two weeks ago and feel bloated all the time. My stomach is constantly bubbling. I am feeling almost sick to my stomach all day. I only take it once in the morning. Is this normal? Is this part of the cleansing part?

November 30, 2017 at 8:40 am

Jamie, I’m wondering if you take the ACV straight, as that’s not good for your stomach, esophagus, and teeth. You’ve got to combine it with about a cup of liquid. Perhaps also, you’re taking it on an empty or empty-ish stomach. Try taking it later in the day, like before lunch and/or dinner. Hope that helps!

Carole
    November 30, 2017 at 3:58 am

I take it in warm water with a dash of ginger cordial.

TRACIE DEAL
    November 30, 2017 at 7:53 am

But will the Apple cider vinegar cause your blood pressure go up.

agram
    November 30, 2017 at 9:59 am

I just started my ACV 2 days ago. I decided to buy it to die down ugly warts on my neck especially this one very dominant wart and to my surprise it really worked. At the same time i also started taking it before breakfast. I hope it will work on my diet, i’ve got no ambitious plans on making a magician out of this vinegar by making me slim or slender.. just a detox agent to remove some toxins in my body is a good thing already.

Nikki Y
    November 30, 2017 at 1:12 pm

I’ve been drinking apple cider vinegar unfiltered for 4 days now and eating only foods that contains protein and drinking lots of water and lost 10 in 4 days I’m so excited but a little scared is this healthy?

Linda Teeter
    December 4, 2017 at 10:14 pm

Question would it be ok to make up a pitcher of water & apple cider vinager with lemon juice and let it sit in yhe frige for the day or warm it up when needed.

December 4, 2017 at 10:37 pm

Linda, I can’t see why not; good idea!

Bart
    December 7, 2017 at 8:13 am

Helpful info, thanks

Bart
    December 7, 2017 at 8:14 am

3 tablespoons per day right?

Ash
    December 7, 2017 at 8:02 pm

Sorry if this has been asked already but why drink it before your meal? Does it matter if I drink it after? Thanks

December 7, 2017 at 9:36 pm

Ash, I believe it’s because the probiotics and enzymes stimulate the digestive process as it begins. For some people, it also helps suppress appetite.

Carole
    December 9, 2017 at 2:52 pm

Is it as effective if drunk while hot…I tried in cool water and lemon…hated it…but I then tried it in Lemon and Ginger tea, with some honey added….very palatable….

Emilena Wilson
    December 11, 2017 at 1:00 am

I’m a nursing mother I just would like to know if I could put apple cider vinegar in my diet ?

Lee
    December 11, 2017 at 8:27 am

Carole, I’ve read that warm lemon water allows you to get the full enzymatic properties of fresh lemon. (Not sure about hot) – Maybe try adding the ACV in warm lemon water?

Brada
    December 13, 2017 at 1:06 pm

Very helpful, thank you.

Brada
    December 13, 2017 at 1:07 pm

Need to try and make it a daily habit and keep it up. Hope to see the benefits in a few months.

Shami
    December 14, 2017 at 9:40 am

ACV or any other mean for reducing weight do work as catalyst, but we have to have calorie deficit for the day. Best way to create the deficit is by skipping dinner. I have lost 30kg in 10 months by skipping dinner and intermittent fasting and of course with regular yoga and exercise. One has to be very particular of not regaining the lost weight, so keeping it away is the trick.

Annita
    December 14, 2017 at 2:26 pm

Today is my second day. Am hoping it Will work. I want to loose weight

Erin
    December 19, 2017 at 8:50 pm

I’ve just bought some, thanks

Carole
    December 20, 2017 at 4:23 am

It’s definitely an appetite suppressant,I’ve now been on it a month,and am not ever very hungry.
    I do wonder why some unfiltered ACV,is a lot more expensive than others,do some contain other added vitamins?
    Holland and Barratt have a very expensive one over £9,yet Sainsburys is only £3 +

Erin
    December 20, 2017 at 9:34 am

Carole I don’t think other brands contain added vitamins, I’m guessing it’s down to the quality of the apples. I personally go with Bragg only because it’s so highly recommended. Maybe there isn’t much difference.

AJ
    December 21, 2017 at 2:03 pm

I pay around $10/bottle and it lasts for ages. Amazing value for money considering how beneficial ACV is.

Seb
    December 22, 2017 at 11:35 am

How do you guys find the taste? Every time I drink ACV it makes me gag. Not sure if I need to dilute it more or maybe I’ll just get used to it.

• 1 31 32 33 34 35