Healthy Eating Tips

Can The Apple Cider Vinegar Diet Help You Lose Weight?

Apple cider vinegar health benefits

Many of you have already heard that raw, organic, and unfiltered apple cider vinegar can assist in weight loss and overall well-being. The apple cider vinegar diet is probiotic, and has many additional health benefits. Here we explore how the apple cider vinegar diet as part of a healthy lifestyle can help you lose weight while at the same time, acting as a tonic for the body.

Although many fad diets that create rapid weight loss have come and gone over the years, it is encouraging to note that the apple cider vinegar diet leads to gradual weight loss. It would be nice if we could shed pounds quickly and never see them again, but experience has shown that weight that leaves easily comes back easily.

The apple cider vinegar diet

If you lose weight quickly, your body will oblige you by kicking in mechanisms to make it more likely this weight will slip back on in no time. But if you can be patient and do not expect instant results, your fat cells will adjust to their new size more willingly and not insist on contributing on your waistline. The apple cider vinegar diet is perfect for this.

A great way to learn to love ACV!

Apple Cider Vinegar Drinks e-book

Apple Cider Vinegar Drinks for Health & Energy
Enjoy the Benefits of ACV with Tonics, Mocktails, and Smoothies
with 25 Easy Recipes

Now available for Kindle (can be read on any device)

Take it before meals
When you give it some thought, it makes good sense that drinking apple cider vinegar before meals would help with weight loss. Apples are a good source of pectin, and including pectin in your diet can make you feel fuller and more satisfied. Since apple cider vinegar contains the same amount of pectin as apples (one apple has about 1.5 grams pectin), it can suppress your appetite in a similar way.

There is also good science behind why apple cider vinegar would encourage weight loss even more effectively than eating raw apples. In general, acids help with the digestion of protein, the building blocks for some of our hormones, especially growth hormone.

We’ve seen how this hormone is instrumental in breaking down fat cells. By increasing the acid present in your stomach before a meal, you’ll ensure the chances for thorough digestion and increase the availability of protein for hormone synthesis.

Protein utilization
Greater protein utilization helps the formation of growth hormone, the substance that keeps the body’s metabolism going while we’re at rest. This is why it is important to drink apple cider vinegar before or with your evening meal.

Stimulates digestion
Because apple cider vinegar stimulates digestion, it also reduces the amount of time that fats remains in the digestive tract. It’s important that your body gets a chance to remove key nutrients from your food, and conditions that contribute to diarrhea can be life-threatening.

At the same time, it can be unhealthful to have food remain in the intestines for too long. If fats present longer than necessary during digestion, more fats will be absorbed.

Apple cider vinegar works at the very beginning of the digestive process to stimulate your appetite and increase your interest in food. Normally, you wouldn’t think of this as being the direction you want to go in if you’re trying to lose weight. But apple cider vinegar works positively to support your efforts by increasing your interest in whole foods.

Utilization of iron
ACV can improve the body’s utilization of iron, a nutrient that acts like fire-starter for fuel. Iron is a key component in substances that carry oxygen to the cells and hold it there. It’s the ability of apple cider vinegar to increase iron utilization and energy consumption in the body that makes it such a supportive food for weight loss.

A great source of potassium
Apples are a great source of potassium, and likewise, apple cider vinegar, taken on a regular basis, will contribute the potassium you need to help balance the sodium in your diet. In fact, try replacing salt in your diet with apple cider vinegar. Use it to top foods you might be tempted to salt, such as vegetables or protein foods. A little vinegar over a plate of beans is a regional favorite in many parts of America.

Recommendation for losing weight with the apple cider vinegar diet

Here is my recommendation for using the apple cider vinegar diet to lose weight, based on the work of Dr. Jarvis and others:

• 1 to 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar + 8 ounces water *
  • Drink before meals 3 times a day

* Though this author recommends 1 to 2 teaspoons of ACV per cup of water, other sources call for 1 tablespoon per cup of water or other liquid, and that seems to be what VegKitchen readers have found most effective.

Excerpted from Apple Cider Vinegar for Weight Loss & Good Health* by Cynthia Holzapfel (Book Publishing Co.), reprinted by permission.

Pin for Later

How Does Apple Cider Vinegar Help You Lose Weight?

*This post contains affiliate links. If the product is purchased by linking through this review, VegKitchen receives a modest commission, which helps maintain our site and helps it to continue growing!

You Might Also Like

1,743 Comments

Jay
    December 22, 2017 at 4:49 pm

Very good article.

If you don’t like the taste, try mixing it with something that overpowers it. I like to mix ACV with Organifi superfood powder (http://www.greenpowderdrink.com) which is also really good for weight loss. When you give your body what it needs, you’ll find that cravings go away and you’ll inadvertently lose weight.

Kristina
    January 2, 2018 at 6:35 am

Mind over Plate First of all. The truth is that healthy food will transfigure your image and you can lose weight as a side effect.

Monsozi
    January 3, 2018 at 2:46 am

Thanks for the tips

Chandra Kanta Biswas
    January 3, 2018 at 4:46 pm

How can we make apple cider vinegar in home process

January 3, 2018 at 4:47 pm

Chandra, we don’t have that info, but you can probably find it on the web!

Sharan laird
    January 5, 2018 at 4:04 pm

I’m going to try this, but how long would it take before you see results and can I eat my normal 3 meals a day?

Chelsea williams
    January 12, 2018 at 12:54 pm

It was really helpfull

Dorothy Martin
    January 14, 2018 at 8:46 pm

I really hope it will work for me am 192 lbs now am only 5.4 that’s too much weight. i would love to see 135 lbs again.

Mary A Critzer
    January 17, 2018 at 2:36 pm

Can u use the apple vinger pill

January 17, 2018 at 5:12 pm

The pills aren’t as effective.

gloria OMara
    January 17, 2018 at 2:43 pm

I take 1 tablespoon in water, at bedtime from the advise of my GI Dr. But am having horrible nightmares, anybody else experiencing that? What else could I do to avoid that?

January 17, 2018 at 5:12 pm

It would be better to take it before dinner, but in any case, I’m not sure that ACV causes nightmares!

taye
    January 17, 2018 at 4:50 pm

what if i add it to my lemon water?

January 17, 2018 at 5:11 pm

Good idea!

Candies Shipman
    January 18, 2018 at 4:20 pm

I am having a lot of back pain and hip pain I think it’s because I’m gaining a lot I hope this will help to loose the weight I tried this before but was just taking vinegar shorts when I felt like eating and was making myself sick so this time I will follow directions

Judy Chandler
    January 22, 2018 at 10:34 am

How soon before I notice weight loss ? I have spinal stenosis & my weight gain is really hurting

Paula
    January 22, 2018 at 3:42 pm

Can I miss the Apple cider vinegar in the water before I drink it, or does it have to be seperated? Is there any side effects?

Eve
    January 22, 2018 at 8:33 pm

Is it recommended to drink 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar without water with an empty stomach in the morning and before bedtime for easily weight loss?

Taee Robinson
    January 23, 2018 at 1:24 pm

I go to the gym at 5AM 3 times during the week and then I go on Saturday mornings at 9AM. I often drink a bottle of water during my workout, I will now try to take the ACV before I leave out in the morning and drink a bottle of water like I always do. But now I will extend it by taking it before lunch when I’m at work and before dinner when I get home. I normally don’t eat breakfast, but I will try to grab a fruit or piece of toast with two hard boiled eggs. I hope this works and I start to see results.

Chelsea
    January 25, 2018 at 4:29 pm

How long until I see results?

Abdullah
    January 27, 2018 at 3:48 pm

I heard that apple cider viniger cause kidney problems??

John G
    January 29, 2018 at 2:34 pm

Thanks for the great article. I didn’t knew about these wonderful benefits of Apple Cider Vinegar, I am definitely going to take it before meals as suggested in the article. I have recently decided to lose some weight and I was able to succeed too due doing research on these foods. What also really helped was reading “The Fat Burning Kitchen.” I am sure it will provide tremendous value to anyone who is looking forward to losing some weight by eating the right kinds of food.

Lisa
    January 30, 2018 at 6:26 pm

Can you use any brand like (non organic) like store brand?

January 30, 2018 at 6:54 pm

It doesn’t have to be Bragg, but it does have to be raw, organic, and unfiltered.

Isha
    February 2, 2018 at 2:57 am

I can’t use apple cider vinegar as a drink. so is that ok to used with cooked curries such as chicken.

Teresa Hudnall
    February 2, 2018 at 10:11 am

I’m gonna try this AVC diet, not sure if it really works. Guess I will find out soon

Scott Manuel
    February 2, 2018 at 4:33 pm

Yes, Apple Cider Vinegar really helps in losing weights. Thanks for this tips it really matter.

Reggie Sibiya
    February 3, 2018 at 11:20 am

I am not sure if Taye on her January 17 querry got the right help. I have a diabetic condition and use ACV to manage my sugar levels. I however realised that when mixed with medication for diabetes it can lead to hypoglycemia. I recently googled symptoms of hypoglycemia and one of them is having nightmares. So Taye might be having very low levels of glucose due to ACV and possibly condition that does not correct the low levels i.e. diabetic condition or other condition

Marjorie Teichert
    February 5, 2018 at 11:31 pm

I am going to try it,

Mary
    February 6, 2018 at 11:31 pm

What does apple cedar drink have on internal organs

Trisha
    February 7, 2018 at 12:26 am

I would use the bragg acv with mother. I have lost about 10 lbs and about inch and half in 21/2 weeks I have took only twice daily. I have energy sleep better

Barbara
    February 7, 2018 at 8:54 am

I wish pray it helps me cos my husband teases me always that I’ve gained weight. Almost all the dress he bought for me back from his trip doest fit.in can’t wait to loose weight

Virginia
    February 8, 2018 at 5:52 pm

I take ACV every morning on an empty stomach. Wonders!

Geraldine
    February 9, 2018 at 12:21 pm

I use it as a facial toner! My skin has never looked better.

Geraldine
    February 9, 2018 at 12:21 pm

I mix it with water for a skin toner and wash my hair with it too.

Sabrina Jones
    February 11, 2018 at 1:22 am

Very good article I just started taking ACV
    today. To if it really helps with weight loss.

marvin m mingus
    February 12, 2018 at 9:27 am

I drink it in the morning with honey and lemon j and a garcinia cambogia pill two times a day

marvin m mingus
    February 12, 2018 at 9:36 am

I been drinking this stuff for 2 1/2 weeks on my third qt. bottle ACV. and 1 Garcinia CamBogia pill two times a day. cant tell if I have lost a pound or not.

Renae Bailey
    February 13, 2018 at 3:19 pm

I’m looking forward to trying this because I’m way over weight 264 at5’2 is way to much.And when will I see results Would love to see 150 again or 160 Sincerely Renae

Quinn
    February 14, 2018 at 5:12 pm

I have been doing it for a month and I see results not fast but work out do alote of cardio I’m 40 and 411 and I weight 150 yes I cat in stomach you have to work out and what,also helps me if a sauna suit I have lost 10 pounds in 2 weeks

Maegan Jones
    February 21, 2018 at 5:17 am

Hello Cynthia,

We know you keep up-to-date on all things fitness and weight loss, so we’d love to hear your thoughts on the following article written by Kris Gunnars of Authority Nutrition.

In it, Kris outlines how to lose weight as quickly as possible. You can see the article here:

As an expert on this topic, we’d like to know your thoughts on the following:

1) Is it safe?
    2) Is it true?
    3) Is it something you’d share with your clients?

We look forward to hearing your feedback and discussing a continued partnership.

In health,

Maegan Jones
    Outreach Coordinator

healthline.com | medicalnewstoday.com
    660 3rd Street, 2nd Floor, San Francisco, CA 94107

Mac
    February 23, 2018 at 2:28 pm

Always drink water with a citric component because it can overtime breakdown and eat at your stomach lining and cause issues further more thats for all time usage and if your over doing the dosage but always drink water with apple cider vinegar.

Akhil Arya
    February 28, 2018 at 2:09 am

thanks for sharing your knowledge with us

Joanne McGarry
    March 6, 2018 at 1:43 am

I have bought Apple cider vinegar from Aldi can I use this doesn’t say raw or organic though?

March 6, 2018 at 9:03 am

Joanne, just any ACV won’t do, unfortunately!

Christy
    March 6, 2018 at 11:00 am

Is this safe ito take if u have prescription medications?

March 6, 2018 at 11:04 am

Christy, this is something you should consult with your practitioner about!

Pradeepa
    March 7, 2018 at 9:56 am

I’m suffering a lot because of my weight. I’m not getting my period because of my too much weight. I’m suffering from PCOD. Please tell me can I get my healthy period using ACV diet. Still I don’t have baby because of this weight problem. Please help me. Thanks lot.

Scott Manuel
    March 8, 2018 at 9:32 pm

You can also mix it with honey, it taste so good.

Maria Dent-Turner
    March 10, 2018 at 11:28 am

I have done this before in the past. I would take the Bragg’s Raw organic apple cider vinegar in the morning with lemon juice and 8 oz of warm water and honey. Wait 30 mins. then Drinking dandelion root tea before breakfast. Btw: Bragg Amino Acid liqid is great at for cooking. Very tasty and healthy.

This routine helps to flush toxins from your body. One of the tasks of fat cells is to encapsulate toxins that are not successfully eradicated. That’s why eating processed foods is bad for you because it fills your body with toxins and your body has to produce as much fat cells as you consume to help get rid of those extra toxins. That’s why you’re encouraged to eat clean, which means eating unprocessed food in their natural state. Not full of dyes and other preservatives. Your body views anything you consume that is not natural to be a toxin, Therefore your body will produce extra fat to get rid of it. Your body considers alcohol, for example, a toxin.

I would eat clean 6 times a day: 3 regular meals around 350 calories and 3 snacks at 100 calories. I wouldn’t eat more than 1400 cal/day. I’d have a can of tuna or a bowl of veggies, steamed or Raw for a snack or lunch for example. For dinner it was mostly vegetables and lean protein. I lost over 30 lbs in about 3 to 4 months without ever going to the gym. I weighed 216 lbs and went down to 180 lbs. My goal was 150.

In less than a year I gained most of it back. I have been stuck btwn 204 and 206 by not following my healthy diet. I’m going to go back to the way I used the apple cider vinegar honey and warm water, back to my diet of healthy eating, but this time I’m going to hit the gym, I hope, at least 3 to 4 times a week.

I weighed 120-125 for 30 yrs. Went up to 135 and was happy. Then I had my 5th child at 35 and it was all downhill from there! :\ I’m 55 now with hbp and I want to be healthy and symptom free again!

• 1 32 33 34 35