Healthy Eating Tips

Can The Apple Cider Vinegar Diet Help You Lose Weight?

Apple cider vinegar health benefits

Many of you have already heard that raw, organic, and unfiltered apple cider vinegar can assist in weight loss and overall well-being. The apple cider vinegar diet is probiotic, and has many additional health benefits. Here we explore how the apple cider vinegar diet as part of a healthy lifestyle can help you lose weight while at the same time, acting as a tonic for the body.

Although many fad diets that create rapid weight loss have come and gone over the years, it is encouraging to note that the apple cider vinegar diet leads to gradual weight loss. It would be nice if we could shed pounds quickly and never see them again, but experience has shown that weight that leaves easily comes back easily.

The apple cider vinegar diet

If you lose weight quickly, your body will oblige you by kicking in mechanisms to make it more likely this weight will slip back on in no time. But if you can be patient and do not expect instant results, your fat cells will adjust to their new size more willingly and not insist on contributing on your waistline. The apple cider vinegar diet is perfect for this.

A great way to learn to love ACV!

Apple Cider Vinegar Drinks e-book

Apple Cider Vinegar Drinks for Health & Energy
Enjoy the Benefits of ACV with Tonics, Mocktails, and Smoothies
with 25 Easy Recipes

Now available for Kindle (can be read on any device)

Take it before meals
When you give it some thought, it makes good sense that drinking apple cider vinegar before meals would help with weight loss. Apples are a good source of pectin, and including pectin in your diet can make you feel fuller and more satisfied. Since apple cider vinegar contains the same amount of pectin as apples (one apple has about 1.5 grams pectin), it can suppress your appetite in a similar way.

There is also good science behind why apple cider vinegar would encourage weight loss even more effectively than eating raw apples. In general, acids help with the digestion of protein, the building blocks for some of our hormones, especially growth hormone.

We’ve seen how this hormone is instrumental in breaking down fat cells. By increasing the acid present in your stomach before a meal, you’ll ensure the chances for thorough digestion and increase the availability of protein for hormone synthesis.

Protein utilization
Greater protein utilization helps the formation of growth hormone, the substance that keeps the body’s metabolism going while we’re at rest. This is why it is important to drink apple cider vinegar before or with your evening meal.

Stimulates digestion
Because apple cider vinegar stimulates digestion, it also reduces the amount of time that fats remains in the digestive tract. It’s important that your body gets a chance to remove key nutrients from your food, and conditions that contribute to diarrhea can be life-threatening.

At the same time, it can be unhealthful to have food remain in the intestines for too long. If fats present longer than necessary during digestion, more fats will be absorbed.

Apple cider vinegar works at the very beginning of the digestive process to stimulate your appetite and increase your interest in food. Normally, you wouldn’t think of this as being the direction you want to go in if you’re trying to lose weight. But apple cider vinegar works positively to support your efforts by increasing your interest in whole foods.

Utilization of iron
ACV can improve the body’s utilization of iron, a nutrient that acts like fire-starter for fuel. Iron is a key component in substances that carry oxygen to the cells and hold it there. It’s the ability of apple cider vinegar to increase iron utilization and energy consumption in the body that makes it such a supportive food for weight loss.

A great source of potassium
Apples are a great source of potassium, and likewise, apple cider vinegar, taken on a regular basis, will contribute the potassium you need to help balance the sodium in your diet. In fact, try replacing salt in your diet with apple cider vinegar. Use it to top foods you might be tempted to salt, such as vegetables or protein foods. A little vinegar over a plate of beans is a regional favorite in many parts of America.

Recommendation for losing weight with the apple cider vinegar diet

Here is my recommendation for using the apple cider vinegar diet to lose weight, based on the work of Dr. Jarvis and others:

• 1 to 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar + 8 ounces water *
  • Drink before meals 3 times a day

* Though this author recommends 1 to 2 teaspoons of ACV per cup of water, other sources call for 1 tablespoon per cup of water or other liquid, and that seems to be what VegKitchen readers have found most effective.

Excerpted from Apple Cider Vinegar for Weight Loss & Good Health* by Cynthia Holzapfel (Book Publishing Co.), reprinted by permission.

Pin for Later

How Does Apple Cider Vinegar Help You Lose Weight?

*This post contains affiliate links. If the product is purchased by linking through this review, VegKitchen receives a modest commission, which helps maintain our site and helps it to continue growing!

You Might Also Like

1,743 Comments

Elaine Ranhoff
    August 24, 2017 at 5:06 pm

I would like to know what kind of protein to eat and how much daily.also vegtables…how much, what kind? i stopped all soda. and no junk food in house. I weigh 199 lbs and goal is 145..please advise. I am drinking ACV 3xs daily with orange juice how many ounces of water daily is vest. today is day 2…thank you

Anto
    August 25, 2017 at 7:05 am

I find ACV combined with the Half Day Diet (http://www.HalfDayPlan.com) – Is really effective for fat loss. Many people make the mistake of cutting out carbs, but this just isn’t sustainable. Plus carbohydrates are an important macro-nutrient.

Also, for those who dislike the taste of ACV, try mixing it with fruit juice. Orange juice works particularly well.

Peter J Drews
    August 25, 2017 at 11:19 am

Vinegar is a base (alkaline) not an acid.
    “By increasing the acid present in your stomach before a meal, you’ll ensure the chances for thorough digestion and increase the availability of protein for hormone synthesis.”

Leanna McKay
    August 28, 2017 at 4:22 am

I have been drinking the acv for about a month and have lost 13 lbs. Not really knowing what to do, I was only doing this before breakfast! I can’t wait to see what will happen when I do this before every meal.

Jo-Anne
    August 28, 2017 at 7:24 am

Is there an example of breakfast lunch and dinner combined with apple cider vinegar that I could follow? I am cutting out extra sugar but not really sure what foods are good

Gayle Ebel
    August 28, 2017 at 12:29 pm

Just started this acv diet . Hopefully will lose a few prior to my knee replacement surgery ! I drink it as tea or in cold water . So far just noticed I am less boated ! Thank you

Khomotso ramantsi
    August 28, 2017 at 8:28 pm

What to eat when using apple cider vinegar

Tammy
    August 30, 2017 at 2:51 am

Going to give it a go to see if it helps me lose weight as are struggling since i had a knee replacement last year & a friend suggested try Apple Cider Vinger 🙂
    Fingers cross it helps, will let you know how I go 🙂

taliyah evans
    August 30, 2017 at 4:56 pm

Do we drink apple cider with warm water or cold water?

Sinda naidoo
    September 1, 2017 at 2:56 am

I have started today with ACV. Current weight is 90kg. My goal weight 65kg

Terri
    September 3, 2017 at 4:00 am

Will ACV be just as effective if you just drink it straight like a shot of liquor? I find getting the taste over with ASAP to be easier. Instead of trying to choke down 8 ounces of the taste.

September 3, 2017 at 12:00 pm

I was going to say the same thing as Bonnie. You can always take the ACV in a cup of juice or Martinelli’s sparkling cider — you won’t even taste it. Straight ACV, aside from not being good for the esophagus, is hard on the teeth and stomach.

BB
    September 3, 2017 at 10:34 am

Definitely do not ever drink ACV straight, it will burn your esophagus

Precious
    September 4, 2017 at 4:37 am

I started yesterday to take 2teaspoons of ACV in a cup of warm water, adding a little ground cinnamon to improve the smell before bed.
    From today I’m doing it 3 times a day before meals. Wanna see the change by end of the month.

Carolyn
    September 5, 2017 at 10:35 pm

I’m hearing you take some source of diet Pill along with the drink. Does anyone know if this works?

Manisha Varyani
    September 7, 2017 at 5:09 am

Pls.tell me diet with ACV my wt. 80kg. &target is 65 within 3 months. I

Dipanshu Roy
    September 7, 2017 at 12:01 pm

Great Information, thank You

BLam
    September 8, 2017 at 1:03 am

Vinegar is NOT a base, Peter. Vinegar is acetic acid. Do a basic google search to confirm.

But for all those looking for a magic drink, most studies done show only very marignal weight loss benefits to drinking ACV. Can’t hurt if done in moderation, but don’t expect amazing results. Eat right (whatever that means to you) and exercise…

Anne
    September 8, 2017 at 7:37 am

Today 8 September – started with 3xT in water before meals. let’s see what happens. curious. will report back in a week.

Audrey Nisbet
    September 8, 2017 at 10:44 am

Hi im just starting this do u drink the acv with warm or cold Water thanks

Craig Tracy
    September 10, 2017 at 10:26 am

I drink ACV right out of the bottle ((1/4 cup or so) and chase it down immediately after with a bottle of water. It’s not pleasant however, I’ve noticed weight loss within weeks. Going to drink before bed soon as well however I’ll lessen the dose. 🙂 Diet has to be incorporated in your efforts with this in order for it to work. Avoid carbs and sugars. Eat lots of salads (limiting fatty dressings). A good rule of thumb… If you eat, do activities that burn calories. Walking, excercises, yard work, anything that involves moving your body. Move that body!! The more the effort, the better your results. Weight loss is a personal endeavor. DO IT FOR YOU. MAKE THIS A LIFE STYLE CHANGE! After all, any diet is a life style (behavioral change. You have to change things up. That’s why we got fat to begin with. Stop making excuses for why you’ve gained weight or why you can’t exercise or why you can’t exercise. Good Luck and GOD BLESS.

anu
    September 12, 2017 at 3:30 am

I am currently using ACV, i drink it twice a day with a bit of warm water in the morning before breakfast and 30 min before supper….i was 68.4kg weight now is 66.5. i started this on the 28 August 2017.lost 1.9kg. my goal weight is 55kg.

anu
    September 12, 2017 at 3:45 am

Hi Guys, i started taking ACV with drink n shrink herbex…..stated on the 28 August 2017, weight 68.4, current weight 66.5. looking for weight loss buddies in PMB area

Enna
    September 12, 2017 at 4:22 am

I want to start,but it so difficult to ACV in supermarkets

Monica Thebeetsile
    September 12, 2017 at 10:58 pm

What if i combine ACV with ACV tablets for quick results? I really need to loose weight fast and for good.

September 12, 2017 at 11:07 pm

Monica, we feel that ACV tablets are a waste of money and effort!

Gabby Taylor
    September 15, 2017 at 7:11 am

Hi please help for the last 6 months have picked up terrible weight not sure way cause i have not changed my eating, does apple cider vinegar work to loose weight and how much do you need to take and do you take it with cold water or hot water . a friend told me about ACV need to find out if it does work.
    Regards
    Gabby Taylor

Daire Sloan
    September 17, 2017 at 6:40 am

I find eating muesli in the morning stabilizes my blood sugar during the day so I don’t get food cravings. So I take acv before breakfast. I’m a swimmer but still need to loose 25Kilos as I’m 90kilos at the moment. I think the acv and muesli will help me. God bless and best of luck to everyone loosing weight. Remember exercise, proper sleep, good nutrition and meaningful activity//work will help with energy levels and happiness.

Priscilla Hall
    September 18, 2017 at 2:43 pm

I’ve lost 5 pounds in 2 weeks drinking acv,water,cinnamon and baking soda can any one tell me how to speed up the weight loss process

Beth
    September 19, 2017 at 11:59 am

I am starting today! I would like to lose 50lbs!

mariamracheal
    September 20, 2017 at 2:40 am

I have been taking acv last week but no change why what can I do

Rafael
    September 20, 2017 at 5:49 pm

Let’s give a little taste to the apple cider vinegar water i drink it with pinapple skin i put pinapple skin into a bottle of water taste delicious with the apple cider.

Colleen Cole
    September 21, 2017 at 1:04 pm

Starting tomorrow need to lose 13kg. Can’t find the Garcina tablets in PE.

Colleen Cole
    September 21, 2017 at 1:06 pm

Starting tomorrow

ScherryLee Jacques
    September 21, 2017 at 3:50 pm

Hi can you tell me if i starting drinking ACV what do i eat and what should i drink in the mornings i have coffee and orange juice when i take my medication but in the morning i have two coffees and in broth i have teaspoon of sugar and little bit of milk but i dont eat breakfast so if i start this ACV do i start eating breakfast and lunch and supper is there a meal plain we have to follow please help me i gained this weight from having four kids now i,m taking blood pressure meds and water pills i want to do this to better my Health

Joyce Harper
    September 21, 2017 at 3:56 pm

I am trying very hard to lose my weight. I am in the gym. and I still can not lose this weight. I am 65 years old .I am single never being marry. No children.

Cynthia
    September 24, 2017 at 4:27 am

First day I noticed the bloating was gone. But my appetite seemed to increase. First time trying this after seeing my aunt lose weight drinking organic asv.

Calvin
    September 27, 2017 at 12:55 pm

I have been using ACV for 3 months and working out for 30 mins each day eating 2000 cal.each day and loss 30lbs.5 days a week.

Linda
    September 30, 2017 at 5:56 pm

To Anne on sept. 17, 2017. Vinegar is not an acid. It is alkaline.

pelumi
    October 1, 2017 at 3:09 pm

please am finding it difficult to lose weight because i eat a lot and its difficult for me to stop, i need a diet plan that works with Nigerian food and weather.

Stacy
    October 2, 2017 at 4:19 pm

I have been drinking Acv for two months now – 1 tablespoon, 3 times a day, half hour before meals. I have not had any weight loss yet 🙁 but they say it is gradual process so I will continue taking it and hoping to see results. I do notice it seems to give me a little more energy.

Stacy
    October 2, 2017 at 4:46 pm

I have been using ACV for 2 months, 1 tablespoon three times a day, half hour before meals. I have not had any weight loss yet, however, they say it is gradual, so I will continue to use it.

nonoe
    October 3, 2017 at 12:33 am

hie have been using acv for the past one month its working wonders have lost some weight and I know longer have that crazy appetite for for food.I now drink a cup of tea and one slice of bread and a bar of chocolate then my day is OK and in the evening its just a bowl of salad.before I had a crazy appetite

Darlene
    October 6, 2017 at 12:29 pm

The idea of putting the ACV In sugar water (juice) kinda just defeats the whole purpose, doesn’t it? Someone asked about foods to combine this with. Basically any whole food is fine. So long as it came from an animal or out of the dirt, without going into a factory first (Except to be cut/cleaned).

Beth
    October 7, 2017 at 5:23 pm

Hold your nose, drink, get it over with!!!

Dian
    October 13, 2017 at 9:25 pm

Now starting this diet for the first time this is Day will report back in two weeks times of my progress

roberta
    October 14, 2017 at 8:53 pm

Started today. 1 tablespoon asv ,teaspoon of honey and dash of cinnamon cup of water. Warmed it up. It was veey tastefully. Getting married in june needed to lose weight like 50lbs. Hope this work.

Anthonia Kupu
    October 16, 2017 at 8:43 pm

This will be my first time I will be apple cider and honey that I will be take both before my meals? How much of each would I bee taking in measurements or grams ( table spoons)? Please reply to my question advising me sooner so I can take my apple cider to loose weight.

Baila khan
    October 17, 2017 at 4:04 am

I want to lose weigh need your advise ihave knee problem and need to loss about 20 kg

Derrick
    October 18, 2017 at 8:06 pm

A young man who is trying to lose weight, maybe 50 pounds, by April. I do exercise and I am attempting to cut back on eating. Maybe this ACV will cut my eating desire down. I am 220, I want to be at least 170.

• 1 30 31 32 33 34 35