Mocha Maca Banana Smoothie
Give your maca banana smoothie an extra kick with a subtle coffee flavor. Maca in itself gives you an energy boost, so you can use decaf if you’d like; it’s really for the flavor rather than the caffeine. Use the lesser amount of the maca powder if you’re new to using it. This makes about two 12-ounce smoothies.
- 1 heaping teaspoon organic instant coffee
- 2 teaspoons cocoa or cacao powder (or see variation, below)
- ½ cup boiling water
- 2 frozen bananas, broken into chunks
- 1 cup vanilla almond milk (sweetened or not)
- 1 to 2 tablespoons maca powder
- Pinch of cinnamon
- Liquid sweetener (agave, stevia, maple syrup, etc.) if using unsweetened almond milk, to taste, optional
- Ice for serving, optional
- Combine the instant coffee and cocoa powder in a mug of boiling water and stir to dissolve. Pour this mixture into a blender.
- Add the bananas, almond milk, maca powder, and cinnamon and process until completely smooth.
- Divide between two glasses. Taste to see if you’d like a little more sweetener, and/or thin with a little more almond milk if too thick.
- Add ice to the beverage if you’d like to enjoy it very cold, and serve at once.
Variation: If you have a high-speed blender, use 4 squares of bittersweet chocolate instead of the cocoa powder.