Whip up this decadent vegan hummingbird cake for your next sweet craving. This is a layered cake full of crushed pineapple, coconut, bananas and more. Topped with a silky smooth vegan cream cheese frosting!
This fruit-filled cake is one of our family favorites! Great for all occasions from birthdays to baby showers and all things in between. This vegan dessert is one you will want to make over and over again.
This Vegan Hummingbird Cake Is...
- Made from Scratch
- Dairy Free
- Layered Cake
- Rich Creamy Frosting
How to Make Vegan Hummingbird Cake
Full steps on how to make this hummingbird cake are in a printable recipe card. This is a quick walk through.
- In a bowl add your dry ingredients into the bowl and set aside. Grease cake pans and preheat the oven.
- Next you will add the vegan butter in a bowl and whip until fluffy. Then add in the brown sugar and granulated sugar.
- Add in the bananas, pineapple, apple cider vinegar, and coconut.
- Now mix with the dry ingredients mixing till it is combined. Make sure to scrape down the sides.
- Pour the cake into the pan and then bake as directed. Allow the cakes to fully cool before frosting.
- To whip up the frosting just cream ingredients in a stand mixer. Once it is creamy it is ready.
- Spread the frosting between the two layers of cake, and then on the sides.
- Assemble the cake, and fully frost the outside of the cake.
Helpful Tips For Hummingbird Cake
Hand Mixer or Stand Mixer
I love using a stand mixer for this recipe. It ensures all the ingredients are fully combined and it takes less effort than hand mixing with a whisk. But if you don't have a mixer you can use a whisk to mix.
Take the time to properly cream the vegan butter. This is going to ensure that your cake has a super soft and light texture. Creaming butter can take 2-4 minutes to do.
Cooling Cake In Pans
Allow the cakes to cool in their pans for around 10 minutes once you remove from the oven. Then you can remove the cake and place on a cooling rack to fully cool down. Do not attempt to frost the cake until it cools!
Variations to Hummingbird Cake Recipe
Consider adding in ¼ cup dried raisins or cranberries into the cake batter. It adds another layer of flavor to the cake.
9x13 Cake Pan
Instead of making a layered cake, pour the batter into a 9x13 baking dish. Then bake for around 25 minutes or until the cake is fully cooked through. Then frost once the cake is cool.
If you are not wanting a cream cheese frosting you can easily frost with a classic vegan vanilla frosting or other flavor of your choice.
Vegan Hummingbird Cake FAQs
Can I substitute the apple cider vinegar?
If you do not want to use apple cider vinegar, just swap with lemon juice. The acid is needed to help activate the baking soda, which will create a light and fluffy texture to the cake.
How to store the cake?
If you don't eat your cake right away or have leftovers, store in the fridge. Place the cake in an airtight container and refrigerate for 3-5 days. Or you can freeze the cake for up to 3 months. Then thaw the cake in the fridge overnight. Or on the counter for an hour.
More Vegan Treats
If you love this Vegan Hummingbird Cake, be sure to check out these other delicious ideas:
Vegan Hummingbird Cake
For the cake:
- 3 ½ cups flour
- ⅓ cup ground flaxseed
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅔ cup vegan butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 4 bananas mashed (about 2 cups)
- 1 can crushed pineapple with juice
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup coconut
For the frosting:
- 8 oz vegan cream cheese softened to room temperature
- 8 oz vegan butter softened to room temperature
- 5 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 F, grease and flour two 9” baking pans
- In a large bowl stir together the flour, flaxseed, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; set aside
- In a separate bowl, beat the vegan butter until fluffy, then mix in the brown sugar and granulated sugar until smooth
- Stir in the bananas, pineapple with juice, apple cider vinegar and coconut until evenly distributed
- Pour the butter mixture into the flour mixture
- Stir to combine well.
- Divide the batter evenly between the pans.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30-35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean
- Cool in pans for 10 minutes then flip onto wire rack and allow to cool completely
- While the cake is baking, prepare the frosting by creaming together vegan butter and vegan cream cheese, then adding powdered sugar 1 cup at a time
- Stir in vanilla extract and set aside to use once cake has cooled
- Spread the frosting between the two layers of cake and on the top and sides of cake
- Serve immediately
Leave a Reply