This vegan banana cake is a layered homemade banana cake that is then topped with a vegan cream cheese. If you have some overripe bananas on your hand this is a must make cake.
I used chopped pecans and walnuts so you have tons of flavor bursting from this vegan cake recipe. Also, make sure to check out these other banana recipes, or dig in to this banana pudding. Or start your morning with these banana oat pancakes.
This Vegan Banana Cake Is...
- Vegan Dessert
- Dairy Free
- Layered Cake
- Overripe Banana Recipe
How to Make Vegan Banana Cake
Full steps and measurements on how to make vegan banana cake are in the printable recipe card. This is a quick walk through.
- Preheat and prep your cake pans.
- Next add your dry ingredients in a medium sized bowl.
- Then in another bowl add your wet ingredients and mix until fully incorporated.
- Then slowly add the flour mixture into the wet ingredients.
- Pour the batter into the pans and bake as directed.
- Prep your cream cheese frosting an once the cake is done, frost and stack your cakes.
Tips For Making Vegan Banana Cake
It is important to use ripe bananas for this cake. You want brown speckled bananas for this. If they are not ripe you can place the banana in the peel at 225 degrees for 15 minutes or so. You want the peel to turn black. Once it does, remove and allow the bananas to cool. Then mix in the batter as normal. It will give you a ripe banana flavor.
Room Temperature Vegan Cream Cheese
Make sure that your vegan cream cheese is softened an room temperature. That way you can get that ultra creamy texture from the frosting.
Stand Mixer or Hand Mixer
I love using a mixer for making the cake batter and the frosting. I find especially when making frosting it helps to give you that ultra creamy texture.
Vegan Banana Cake Variations
Leave out the nuts if you don't want to have a crunch in your cake or the frosting.
Stir in ⅓ cup of coconut flakes in the frosting to add a nice twist of coconut flavor to the cake.
Grab either some regular or golden raisins an add ¼ cup into the cake recipe. It will add a bit more sweetness to the cake.
Skip the cream cheese vegan frosting if you don't want it. Spread on any of your favorite vegan frostings you would like. From peanut butter to vanilla and all things in between.
Vegan Banana Cake FAQs
Does this cake need to be refrigerated?
Yes, you will want to refrigerate the cake. You will find since the vegan cream cheese frosting needs refrigerated then don't leave the cake out for longer than two hours.
Can you freeze this banana cake?
Yes you can freeze this cake. Just place in a freezer friendly container. Then freeze for 3-4 months. Then thaw in the fridge or on the counter for an hour.
Vegan Banana Cake
For the cake:
- Preheat oven to 350 F, grease or line two 6” cake pans and set aside
- Make the cake by mixing together the flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, salt and set aside
- In a medium bowl, combine the oil, sugar, mashed bananas, and vanilla
- Mix together until smooth.
- Pour the flour mixture into the banana mixture and stir until just combined
- Fold in the walnuts
- Combine until well mixed.
- Pour batter into prepared baking pans, and
- Bake in preheated oven 40-45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into center comes out clean
- Meanwhile, prepare the frosting by creaming the vegan cream cheese with half the frosting on high until smooth
- Add the remaining powdered sugar a cup at a time, mixing well after each addition, mix in vanilla extract
- Allow cake to cool completely before frosting between the layers and topping with additional walnuts