This homemade vegan funfetti cake is fluffy, moist, and bursting with colorful sprinkles! And topped with a delicious funfetti frosting too. Perfect for a birthday party or just to satisfy your everyday sweet tooth.
There's something undeniably magical about funfetti - it transforms a simple cake into a totally party-worthy treat. This particular funfetti cake is a family favorite in our house, even among the non-vegans in the crew. In fact, my son swears it's the best funfetti cake he's ever had!
This vegan funfetti cake is:
- Easy to make with simple ingredients.
- Fun and colorful.
- A surefire crowd pleaser.
- Better than any boxed cake mix.
- Perfect for a vegan birthday cake!
Key Ingredients & Substitutions
All of the ingredients for this cake (and the funfetti frosting) are simple and easy to find. No weird vegan ingredients here. 😉 But here are just a few notes to help you get the best results.
The heart of any funfetti cake is the sprinkles! But be sure to check the ingredients for any sneaky non-vegan ingredients. I like to buy these big jugs of vegan friendly sprinkles for all my baking.
You can use any dairy free milk of your choice in this vegan cake. Almond, cashew and soy milk all work very well for baking.
Apple Cider Vinegar
This might seem like an odd cake ingredient, but it reacts with the baking powder to give the cake a perfect rise. I suggest using a high quality apple cider vinegar like Bragg's for the best results.
This recipe calls for granulated sugar. Depending on the region you live in, your regular old white sugar may or may not be vegan. In the US, you will want to choose a brand clearly marked organic or vegan. This one from Whole Foods is cheap and vegan friendly.
Tips and Tricks
Parchment Paper is Your Friend
To ensure your cake layers come out of the pans cleanly, don't skip lining your pans with parchment paper.
Patience is key. Frosting a warm cake can lead to a melting disaster! So make sure to let the cake cool all the way down to room temperature before frosting it. You can speed up the process by putting it in the fridge for a bit.
Storing the Cake
Cover the cake and store in the fridge for 4-5 days. You can also freeze the cake for up to two months. If freezing, you will want to remove from the freezer to thaw the day before you plan to serve it.
Variations to Try
Make it Gluten-Free
Replace the all-purpose flour with your favorite gluten-free flour blend for a gluten free version. Be sure to choose a gluten free brand of sprinkles too.
Switch Up the Sprinkles
While rainbow sprinkles are classic, feel free to use any vegan-friendly sprinkle variety you like. You can theme this cake to just about any occasion by just changing out the sprinkles. Halloween? Grab some orange and black sprinkles. Christmas? Go with red and green. Valentine's Day? Pink and red. You get the idea.
Not a fan of buttercream? Try a vegan cream cheese frosting for a tangy twist.
More Vegan Sweets
If you love this Vegan Funfetti Cake, be sure to check out these other delicious recipes:
Vegan Funfetti Cake
For the Cake:
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ cups granulated sugar organic
- ½ cup rainbow sprinkles vegan-friendly
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 ⅓ cups unsweetened non-dairy milk such as almond or soy
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- ¼ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
For the Cake:
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease two 8-inch round cake pans and line the bottoms with parchment paper for easy removal.
- In a large mixing bowl, sift together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Stir in the rainbow sprinkles to distribute evenly.
- In another bowl, whisk together the non-dairy milk, vegetable oil, applesauce, apple cider vinegar, and vanilla extract until well combined.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix until just combined, being careful not to overmix.
- Divide the batter evenly between the two prepared cake pans, using a spatula to smooth the tops.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let the cakes cool in the pans for about 10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
For the Vegan Buttercream Frosting:
- Using a hand mixer or a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, beat the vegan butter until creamy.
- Gradually add the powdered sugar, 1 cup at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add the vanilla extract and 2 tablespoons of non-dairy milk. Beat for an additional 3-5 minutes or until the frosting is light and fluffy. If the frosting is too thick, add more non-dairy milk, one tablespoon at a time, until reaching the desired consistency.
- Once the cakes are completely cool, place one layer on a serving plate or cake stand.
- Spread a layer of frosting on the top of the first cake layer, then place the second cake layer on top.
- Frost the top and sides of the cake with the remaining buttercream frosting, smoothing it out with a knife or spatula.
- Decorate the top with additional rainbow sprinkles to match the Funfetti theme.
- Chill the cake in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes before slicing to allow the frosting to set.