Quick Cinnamon-Raisin Bread
This cinnamon-scented raisin quick bread will make any kitchen feel cozy. Using no eggs or dairy, this moist bread is perfect for breakfast or with coffee or tea. After the first day or so, the sliced bread is good toasted. Serve with jam, vegan buttery spread — or just plain. Photos by Evan Atlas.
- 2¼ cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup applesauce
- ⅓ cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons safflower oil
- ¼ cup plain or vanilla unsweetened nondairy milk, or as needed
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons natural granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon safflower oil
- ⅓ cup finely chopped walnuts for topping, optional
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine the first 3 (dry) ingredients in a mixing bowl and stir together.
- Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and pour in the applesauce, maple syrup, vanilla, oil, and enough nondairy milk to make a smooth, stiff batter. Stir until thoroughly mixed, then stir in the raisins.
- In a small bowl, combine the cinnamon, sugar, and oil. Stir until the cinnamon and sugar are evenly moistened with the oil.
- Sprinkle half the mixture into the batter, then gently fold the batter over. Sprinkle in the rest, then fold the batter gently over again.
- Pour the batter into a lightly oiled 9-by 5-by 3-inch loaf pan. Sprinkle with the top with the walnuts if desired.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until the top is golden brown and crusty, or until a knife inserted into the center tests clean.
- When cool enough to handle, carefully remove the bread from the pan, place it on a rack or platter, and allow it to cool until just warm before slicing.
Per slice: Calories: 204; Total fat: 4g; Protein: 4g; Fiber: 4.1g; Carbs: 41g; Sodium: 196 mg
- Here are more vegan quick breads.