Spinach and Cucumber Spread
One of my old favorites, this tasty spinach spread never loses its charm. Serve with whole-grain crackers, crispbreads, or raw veggies. This is compatible with carrots, cauliflower, bell pepper, and celery.
Makes: about 2 cups
- 1/2 cup finely chopped, seeded cucumber
- One 12.3-ounce package firm silken tofu
- One 10-ounce package frozen spinach, thawed,
moisture completely squeezed out
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 scallion, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh dill, or 1 teaspoon dried dill
- 1 teaspoon all-purpose seasoning blend (such as Spike or Mrs. Dash),
more or less to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
Spread the chopped cucumber over two or three layers of paper towel. Cover with another two layers, then place a cutting board or some other weight on top. Let stand while proceeding with the recipe.
Place the spinach in the food processor and process until smoothly pureed. Add the remaining ingredients (except the cucumber) and process until the spinach is well incorporated with the tofu, but not completely pureed.
Transfer to a serving bowl and stir in the cucumber. Serve at once or cover and refrigerate until needed.
- Explore VegKitchen’s selection of flavorful snacks and dips.
- Return to A Colorful Vegan Christmas (Vegetarians Welcome!) for a complete listing of holiday dinner recipes, menus, and desserts.