Spinach and Cucumber Spread or Dip
One of my old favorites, this tasty spinach spread, with hints of dill and crisp cucumber, never loses its charm. Serve with fresh bread, whole-grain crackers, crispbreads, or raw veggies. This is compatible with carrots, cauliflower, bell pepper, and celery.
Makes: about 2 cups
- 1/2 cup finely diced cucumber — use a very crisp organic
or hothouse variety
- 4 to 6 ounces fresh baby spinach
- 12.3-ounce package firm silken tofu
- Juice of 1/2 lemon or lime, or more, to taste
- 1 scallion, green part only, chopped
- 1 to 2 tablespoons fresh dill leaves (or a few sprigs), to taste
(used dried dill only in a pinch — about 1 teaspoon)
- 1 teaspoon salt-free seasoning blend (such as Frontier or Mrs. Dash),
more or less to taste
- Salt and reshly ground pepper to taste
Spread the chopped cucumber over two or three layers of paper towel. Cover with another two layers, then place a cutting board or some other weight on top. Let stand while proceeding with the recipe.
Place the spinach in the food processor and process until smoothly pureed. Add the remaining ingredients (except the cucumber) and process until the spinach is well incorporated with the tofu, but not completely pureed.
Transfer to a serving bowl and stir in the cucumber. Serve at once or cover and refrigerate until needed.
- Explore VegKitchen’s selection of flavorful snacks and dips.
- Return to A Colorful Vegan Christmas (Vegetarians Welcome!) for a complete listing of holiday dinner recipes, menus, and desserts.