Slow-baking onions gives them a mellow sweetness. This recipe is good with naturally sweet Vidalia onions or red onions, but ordinary yellow onions will do just as well. Glazed Baked Onions make a nice side dish for Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner. Photos by Hannah Kaminsky.
Glazed Baked Onions
Slow-baking onions gives them a mellow sweetness. This is good with naturally sweet Vidalia onions or red onions, but ordinary yellow onions will do just as well.Print Pin Rate Email
Servings: 6 to 12
- 1 cup homemade or prepared vegetable broth
- ¼ cup agave nectar or maple syrup
- 1 tbsp vegan buttery spread such as Earth Balance
- generous pinch each: dried rosemary dried thyme, and ground nutmeg
- 6 extra-large onions cut in half
- 1 cup fine fresh breadcrumbs for topping
- fresh rosemary sprigs for garnish optional
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Combine all the ingredients except the onions and breadcrumbs in a small saucepan. Heat gently, stirring, until all are smoothly blended. Remove from the heat.
- Peel the outer skin from the onions and cut them in half crosswise. Cut a thin sliver from the bottom of each onion half, so that they'll stand steadily in a baking dish.
- Arrange the onions halves in a shallow baking dish and pour the mixture from the saucepan evenly over them.
- Cover and bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until the onions are tender when pierced with a fork. Once or twice during this time, spoon some of the liquid from the bottom of the baking dish over the onions.
- Sprinkle the onions with breadcrumbs and bake, uncovered, for an additional 10 to 15 minutes, or until most of the liquid has been absorbed. Serve at once or keep warm until needed.
Calories: 160kcal | Carbohydrates: 31g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 3g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Trans Fat: 1g | Sodium: 152mg | Potassium: 197mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 12g | Vitamin A: 91IU | Vitamin C: 8mg | Calcium: 58mg | Iron: 1mg
Vegan-ize any recipe!Grab our free vegan cheat sheet, packed with my favorite easy substitutions to make any recipe vegan.
- Here are more recipes to enjoy a Vegetarian and Vegan Friendly Thanksgiving.
- Find more ways to make Special Occasions and Entertaining easier and healthier.
Very sweet! I made these with all the ingredients shown and let me tell you, they came out great! I highly recommend this recipe for Thanksgiving or Christmas. Also, my mom said that they go well with cornbread stuffing. Great recipe; thanks Nava!