Vegan Pina Colada takes literally minutes to whip up. This creamy pineapple and coconut drink is ready to be sipped on in no time. This tropical paradise cocktail is made with rum and is vegan, gluten free, and dairy free.
This Vegan Pina Colada Recipe Is...
- Gluten Free
- Dairy Free
- 5 Minute Drink
- Can Be Made As Mocktail
How to Make A Pina Colada
Full steps on how to make a pina colada are in the printable recipe card at the bottom of the post. This is a quick walk through on how it is made.
- Add all the ingredients into the blender.
- Blend until smooth and creamy.
- Pour into a glass and serve over ice.
Helpful Tips For Making Pina Colada
High Speed Blender
Make sure that you are using a high speed blender. This is going to ensure the mixture really blends well together. Plus the higher speed will break down the frozen pineapple chunks in the recipe.
Make sure your pineapple is frozen, or it will alter the texture of your cocktail. Just place pineapple on a lined baking sheet and freeze for 1-2 hours. Do a single row of pineapple to ensure it evenly freezes. Or buy pre-frozen pineapple to cut a corner of prep.
Variations to Pina Colada Recipe
I used a dark rum for this recipe. But you are welcome to swap it out with a lighter rum if you want. Or even try out vodka for another twist.
Consider adding on some coconut shavings to the top of your drink to showcase the coconut in the drink. You could even blend some coconut up with the pineapple mixture. It will be a bit chewy when you sip.
Coconut Ice Cream
If you want to give this a sweeter flavor, swap the coconut cream with coconut ice cream that is dairy free. This is going to enhance the flavors even more and it offers a creamier texture.
Pina Colada FAQs
Are pina coladas healthy?
You will find that depending on the ingredients used it depends. Some recipes will use a lot of pineapple, coconut cream, and such, which does add in sugar, calories, etc. So use your judgement on brands of each item you need.
Can I make this cocktail ahead of time?
I find it is best to serve this up right before you are going to enjoy it. That way it doesn't melt and break down too much and dilute the flavor of the drink.
Does this recipe double well?
Go right ahead and make as many of these cocktails as you want. Just make as much that fits in your blender. If you want more then just batch mix up the pina colada mixture then pour in glasses and serve.
What can I use instead of a simple syrup?
If you would like you can swap the simple syrup out with a maple syrup. You use the simple syrup to help sweeten up the drink. So just reach for a maple syrup to swap in, if you prefer. The sweeten to your preference.
How to adjust the thickness of the cocktail?
Add more liquid to thin up the pina colada. Or to thicken it toss in extra frozen pineapple. Then mix and adjust the ingredients as needed.
Vegan Pina Colada
- 1 cup dark rum
- 1 cup pineapple juice
- 1 ½ cups coconut cream canned
- ¼ cup lime juice
- ⅓ cup simple syrup
- 3 cups frozen pineapple chunks
- 2 ½ cups ice
- Combine all ingredients in a high speed blender.
- Blend until the mixture is smooth and creamy. If you have trouble getting it to blend, add a bit more liquid to the mix.
- Taste and adjust as desired. If it's not sweet enough for your liking, add additional simple syrup.
- Serve over ice.
- You can use coconut flavored rum or light rum in place of the dark rum if you prefer. The dark rum gives a richer flavor.
- If you prefer, you can substitute agave syrup or maple syrup in place of the simple syrup.
- You may use coconut milk instead of coconut cream, but will find it has a thinner consistency.
- Try garnishing your vegan pina colada with fresh coconut shavings, pineapple slices, or lime wedges.