Tofu Eggless “Egg Salad” for Sandwiches or Pitas
Tofu is a culinary chameleon, taking on many forms, depending on what it’s surrounded by and flavored with. Here, it takes on the form of egg salad, which, when made with eggs and regular mayonnaise, is a high-fat, high-cholesterol combination that’s best avoided. But this version, made with tofu and vegan mayonnaise, is a treat that won’t rub you and your healthy eating habits the wrong way. Photos by Evan Atlas.
Serves: 4 to 6
- 14- to 16-ounce tub firm tofu, well drained
- 1 large stalk celery, finely diced
- 1 scallion, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup vegan mayonnaise, or as desired
- 1 to 2 teaspoons prepared yellow mustard, to taste
- 1 teaspoon good-quality curry powder, or more, to taste
- 2 to 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast, optional (but highly recommended)
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste (see Note)
Slice the tofu into 6 slabs crosswise and blot well on paper towels or clean tea towels (or use a handy tofu pressing device like EZ Tofu Press or Tofu XPress). Place it in a mixing bowl, and mash well with a large fork or potato masher. Add the diced celery and scallion.
In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, mustard, curry powder, and optional nutritional yeast and mix well. Pour the mayonnaise mixture over the tofu mixture, and stir well to combine.
Add more vegan mayonnaise if you’d like a creamier consistency. Season to taste with salt and pepper, and add more curry, if you’d like. Serve as suggested, below.
Note: If you can get hold of it, an Indian seasoning called black salt (kala namak, which is actually pink) use it in place of regular salt. It adds a distinctive, egg-like flavor.
- This is delicious served in warmed pita breads with sprouts or shredded lettuce.
- Serve on fresh bread with tender lettuce leaves like Boston or Bibb, or baby spinach or baby arugula, accompanied by dill pickle spears.
- Or, omit bread altogether and serve in individual lettuce leaves (once again, Boston or Bibb are best for this), or just dolloped onto any kind of green salad.
Here are more: