Tofu Eggless “Egg Salad” for Sandwiches or Pitas
Tofu is a culinary chameleon, taking on many forms, depending on what it’s surrounded by and flavored with. Here, it takes on the form of egg salad, which, when made with eggs and regular mayonnaise, is a high-fat, high-cholesterol combination that’s best avoided. But this mock egg salad, made with tofu and vegan mayonnaise is a treat that won’t rub you and your healthy eating habits the wrong way.
Serves: 4 to 6
- 1 pound medium-firm tofu, drained
- 1 large stalk celery, finely diced
- 1 scallion, finely chopped
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup vegan mayonnaise
- 1 to 2 teaspoons prepared yellow mustard, to taste
- 1 teaspoon good-quality curry powder, or more, to taste
- 2 to 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast, optional (but highly recommended)
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Slice the tofu into 6 slabs crosswise and blot well on paper towels or clean tea towels. Place it in a mixing bowl, and mash well with a large fork or potato masher. Add the diced celery and scallion.
In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, mustard, curry powder, and optional nutritional yeast and mix well. Pour the mayonnaise mixture over the tofu mixture, stir well to combine, and season to taste with salt and pepper.
This is delicious served in warmed pita breads with sprouts or shredded lettuce.
Serve on fresh bread with tender lettuce leaves like Boston or Bibb, accompanied by dill pickle spears.
Here are more:Print This Post