These mildly curried vegan tofu burgers can be served on burger rolls with all of your favorite condiments. Or, serve them on their own as a side dish for grain, potato, or pasta dishes. Young children may enjoy eating these out of hand at room temperature. Ketchup, marinara sauce, or barbecue sauce are all welcome embellishments, as is Quick Tartar Sauce.
Makes: about 1 dozen, 1 or 2 per serving
- ¼ cup oatmeal or quinoa flakes
- 14- to 16-ounce tub soft tofu, drained well and finely crumbled
- ¼ cup wheat germ or quick-cooking oats
- 2 teaspoons seasoning blend (such as Frontier or Mrs. Dash)
- 1 ½ teaspoons curry powder, or to taste
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Sesame seeds, optional
- Olive oil or other vegetable oil for sauté pan
- Place the oatmeal or quinoa flakes in a medium-sized mixing bowl and cover with ½ cup boiling water. Let stand 5 minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients except the oil to the mixing bowl and stir together until completely combined.
- Heat enough oil to coat a wide nonstick skillet or griddle. Ladle the tofu mixture onto the skillet in ¼-cup portions and flatten. Sprinkle with sesame seeds, if you'd like.
- Cook the patties on both sides over medium heat until golden brown. Drain on paper towels and serve warm or at room temperature.