This easy vegan broccoli quinoa casserole of made out of quinoa, broccoli, and vegan cheese makes for a dish that's both nourishing and comforting. Serve with baked sweet potatoes (start the sweet potatoes in the oven about 45 minutes before starting to bake the casserole) and a salad of dark greens and ripe tomatoes. Photos by Hannah Kaminsky.
- 1 ½ cups quinoa rinsed in a fine sieve
- 3 cups low-sodium vegetable broth or 3 cups water with 2 vegetable bouillon cubes
- 2 teaspoons salt-free seasoning blend like Frontier or Mrs. Dash
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion quartered and thinly sliced
- 2 large broccoli crowns cut into bite-sized pieces
- ⅓ cup sliced sun-dried tomatoes or sliced black olives
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 to 1 ½ cups grated vegan cheddar-style cheese I like Daiya cheddar-style shreds
- 2 large or 3 medium tomatoes sliced
- Preheat the oven to 400º F.
- Combine the quinoa, broth, and seasoning in a saucepan. Bring to a slow boil, then lower the heat, cover, and simmer gently until the water is absorbed, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large skillet. Add the onion and sauté until golden. Add the broccoli and enough water to keep the skillet moist. Cover and steam until the broccoli is tender-crisp, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the cooked quinoa with the broccoli mixture, dried tomatoes or olives, and half of the cheese. Season with salt and pepper and stir well.
- Transfer the mixture to a lightly oiled, shallow two-quart casserole. Arrange the tomato slices over the top. Sprinkle evenly with the remaining cheese.
- Bake until the top is golden and crisp, about 20 to 25 minutes. Let the casserole stand for 5 minutes, and serve.