Chocolate Matzo Brittle
Serves: 8 to 10
- 1 cup vegan semi-sweet chocolate chips or chocolate buttons
- 1 tablespoon agave nectar or maple syrup
- Pinch of cinnamon
- 2 matzos, broken into pieces slightly larger than bite-sized
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup lightly toasted nuts (see variations)
- 1/2 cup dark or golden raisins, dried cranberries,
or chopped dried fruit (see variations), or any combination
Line two large plates with wax paper or parchment.
Combine the chocolate chips, agave nectar, and cinnamon in a medium saucepan. Cook over low heat until smoothly melted. Remove from the heat.
Add the broken matzo; stir to coat evenly with the chocolate. Spread in a more or less single layer onto two parchment- or wax paper-lined plates. Sprinkle the nuts and raisins over the top. Refrigerate for at least an hour before serving.
Just before serving, break up into large chunks and transfer to a serving platter.
For the nuts, use sliced or slivered almonds, or chopped walnuts, pecans, or pistachios. If you like “salty sweets,” you’ll love this with chopped salted pistachios. You can use two different types of nuts, of course.
For the dried fruit other than the raisins or cranberries, consider dried sliced apricot or mango, or finely chopped dried pineapple.