Chunky Bean Spread Sandwiches
Here’s a cool and casual sandwich that really satisfies. An excellent fresh bread is a must.
Serves: 4 to 6
- 1/2 medium green or red bell pepper, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1/4 cup pimiento-stuffed green olives
- 1 to 2 scallions, green part only, coarsely chopped
- One 16-ounce cans pinto or pink beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons vegan mayonnaise, or more, as desired
- 1 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoons ground cumin
- Fresh whole-grain or rye bread
- Thinly sliced tomatoes
- Sprouts or shredded lettuce
Combine the bell pepper, olives, and scallion in a food processor. Pulse on and off several times, until everything is coarsely and evenly chopped into approximately 1/4-inch pieces.
Add the beans, mayonnaise, lemon juice, and cumin to the food processor. Pulse on and off until everything is evenly chopped, leaving a chunky texture. Transfer to a small serving container.
Let everyone assemble their own sandwiches as follows: spread a generous amount of the bean mixture on one slice of bread, top with a few slices of tomato and a handful of sprouts or lettuce, then cover with another piece of bread.
Click here for lots more recipes for vegan sandwiches and wraps.