Creole Orange Rice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or fragrant nut oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 large celery stalks, diced
- 1 1/4 cups long-grain brown or brown basmati rice
- 2 cups homemade or store-bought vegetable stock
- 1 cup fresh orange juice
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest (from organic orange),
optional but highly recommended
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Minced parsley for garnish
- Peeled and sectioned clementine or other small
seedless oranges for garnish, optional
Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Add the onion and celery and sauté over medium heat until the onion is golden. Add the rice, stock, orange juice, optional orange zest, and thyme. Bring to a simmer, then simmer gently, covered, until the water is absorbed, about 20 minutes.
If the rice is not tender enough for your taste, add another 1/2 cup water and simmer until absorbed. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve at once. Garnish each serving with a little minced parsley and if desired, a few clementine sections.
- Here are more Creole classics, veg style.
- For more ways to use brown rice, explore Classic Rice Dishes.