Quinoa with Cauliflower, Cranberries, and Nuts
Quick and flavorful, this pilaf combines two companionable ingredients—cauliflower and quinoa. Adapted from Vegan Express.
Serves: 6 to 8 as a side dish
- 1 1/4 cups quinoa, rinsed in a fine sieve
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow or red onion, finely chopped
- 1 small head cauliflower, cut into small pieces and florets
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/3 cup toasted pine nuts or slivered almonds
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon flaxseed oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Combine the quinoa with 2 1/2 cups water in a saucepan. Bring to a simmer, then cover and simmer gently for 15 minutes, or until the water is absorbed.
Meanwhile, heat the oil in a wide skillet or stir-fry pan. Add the onion and saute over medium-low heat until golden. Add the cauliflower and about 1/3 cup water. Cover and cook for 5 minutes, or until the cauliflower is just tender.
Once the quinoa is done, add it to the cauliflower mixture, followed by the cranberries, pine nuts, and parsley. Toss together, then remove from the heat. Drizzle in the oil, then season with salt and pepper. Serve at once.
- Here are more quinoa recipes.
- Find more at VegKitchen’s Passover: Ashkenazic-Style Seder page.
- Find more ways to make Special Occasions and Entertaining easier and healthier.
- Here are more of VegKitchen’s Vegan Dinner Recipes and more Main Dishes Featuring Grains and/or Beans.