Roasted Sweet Potato Mac and Cheese
This mac and cheese is 100% vegan and so healthy! The ‘cheese’ in this recipe is a combination of roasted sweet potato, mustard, and nutritional yeast. The result is a nostalgic mac and cheese with a grown up edge and a rich, creamy, and satisfying dish! This recipe utilizes gluten-free pasta, but if that’s not a concern for you, any whole-grain short chunky shaped pasta will work. Recipe and photos contributed by Sophia Zergiotis of Love and Lentils.
Serves: 6 or more
For the mac and cheese
- 2 sweet potatoes, about 3 cups, cubed
- 16 ounces (about 500 grams) gluten-free elbow macaroni
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon tamari, or regular soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried chili flakes
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, and more for drizzling
- 1 teaspoon sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 cups unsweetened almond milk, or other non-diary milk of your choice
- A handful fresh parsley, roughly chopped, for garnish
For the mushrooms
- 8 ounces mushrooms, washed and sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
Preheat oven to 400° F. Place sweet potato cubes onto lightly greased baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil, season with salt and pepper. Place in preheated oven for 35 to 40 minutes or until tender, turning once half way through.
Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and return pasta to the pot.
In a medium bowl, combine lemon juice, mustard, garlic powder, chili flakes, nutritional yeast, olive oil, salt and pepper. Set aside.
In a small pan, sauté mushrooms and garlic in oil on medium heat for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
Remove sweet potatoes from oven (don’t turn off the heat) and add sweet potatoes to the bowl with all your seasonings and almond milk. Mash well, combining all ingredients. Don’t worry if you have a few clumps. If the mixture is a little too thick, add another splash of almond milk.
Add macaroni noodles to the bowl, and fold all ingredients together. Spoon all into a casserole dish, top with mushrooms and place in the oven for 10 minutes.
Remove from the oven, sprinkle freshly chopped parsley over the top, and serve.
- Here are more hearty vegan pasta recipes
Per Serving: 277 calories; 48g carbs; 8g fat; 6g protein; 646mg sodium; 4g sugars