Simple Quinoa Pilaf with Peas and Almonds
Lots of peas and toasted almonds, combined with quinoa, add up to a tasty and nourishing pilaf.
Serves: 4 to 6
- 2 to 2 1/2 cups vegetable broth, or water with 1 vegetable bouillon cube
- 1 cup raw quinoa
- 3 to 4 scallions, white and green parts, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose seasoning blend (like Spike or Mrs. Dash)
- 2 cups frozen green peas, completely thawed
- 2 tablespoons nonhydrogenated margarine
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup slivered or sliced almonds, lightly toasted in a dry skillet
Rinse the quinoa well in a fine sieve. Combine with 2 cups broth in a large saucepan, and bring to a gentle boil. Lower the heat and stir in the scallions and seasoning blend. Cover and cook at a gentle but steady simmer until all the water has been absorbed, about 15 minutes. If the quinoa isn’t done to your liking, add 1/2 cup more water and cook until absorbed
Stir in the peas and margarine, then season with salt and pepper. Cook just until the peas are well heated through. Transfer the pilaf to a serving bowl and scatter the almonds over the top.
- Here are more recipes using healthy lentils and peas.
- Here are more quinoa recipes.
- Return to A Colorful Vegan Christmas (Vegetarians Welcome!) for a complete listing of holiday dinner recipes, menus, and desserts.
One comment on “Simple Quinoa Pilaf with Peas and Almonds”
Pingback: A Colorful Vegan Christmas | Vegetarian & Vegan Recipes: In a Vegetarian Kitchen