Vegan Brie Cheez
This lovely round of creamy cheez is delectable by itself. It’s also delicious on crackers or in sandwiches and is especially elegant as a snack or dessert served with fresh, crisp fruit, such as Asian pears. This versatile uncheese also makes a terrific pizza topping. Slice it thinly or thickly into wedges. Recipe contributed by Jo Stepaniak, reprinted from The Ultimate Uncheese Cookbook.*
Makes 1 wheel (about 2 1/2 cups)
- 1 to 2 tablespoons wheat germ, or 1/3 cup toasted sliced almonds
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 3 tablespoons agar flakes, or 1 tablespoon agar powder
- 1/2 cup chopped raw cashews
- 1/2 cup crumbled firm silken tofu
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast flakes
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons sesame tahini
- 1 1/2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon ground dill seed or ground coriander
Lightly oil a 2 1/2-cup round, shallow mold, pie plate, or single layer round cake pan and dust it with the wheat germ or sprinkle the bottom with the toasted sliced almonds, spreading them as evenly as possible. Set aside.
Combine the water and agar in a small saucepan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Decrease the heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring often, until dissolved, 8 to 12 minutes. Transfer to a blender and add the remaining ingredients. Process several minutes until completely smooth, stopping to scrape down the sides of the blender jar as necessary. Pour into the prepared container.
Cool uncovered in the refrigerator. When completely cool, cover and refrigerate for 8 to 12 hours. To serve, turn out by inverting the mold onto a large round plate (the wheat germ or almond-coated side will now be on top) and slice into wedges. Store leftovers covered in refrigerator. Will keep for 5 to 7 days.
- For more vegan cheese-like recipes, go to Vegan Cheese-y Delights.
*This post contains affiliate links. If the product is purchased by linking through this review, VegKitchen receives a modest commission, which helps maintain our site and helps it to continue growing!