This Vegan Pumpkin Mac and Cheese is creamy, delicious, and super simple to throw together. It's the ultimate Fall comfort food!
This vegan mac and cheese is loaded with creamy, cheesy, pumpkin flavor. It's an epic adult version of your favorite childhood meal!
This has quickly become one of my all time favorite vegan comfort foods and a family favorite for the fall and winter seasons.
This pumpkin mac and cheese pasta is..
- made with real pumpkin puree
- gluten-free (if you use gluten-free pasta)
- a delicious lunch or dinner the whole family can enjoy
- made with simple ingredients
- creamy and cheesy
How To Make Pumpkin Mac and Cheese
- Start by cooking your pasta as directed on the back of the box. Once done, drain the pasta.
- Then in a blender, toss in your pumpkin puree, cashews, all the spices, coconut milk, and blend till creamy.
- Pour the cheese sauce into the drained pasta. Return to stove and heat until the mixture is warmed through.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve.
Scroll down for detailed instructions and a printable recipe.
Bake The Mac and Cheese
Once you have your creamy vegan pumpkin mac and cheese assembled, you can pour it into a baking dish and then top with a simple bread crumb topping. Bake for a few minutes, to crisp up the topping for a nice, crunchy finish!
Add in Veggies
Consider adding in some extra veggies to make this an even healthier vegan meal. Broccoli, carrots, peas, or even cauliflower would be a great addition to the recipe. Just sauté them until softened and stir in with the pumpkin cheese sauce.
Can I leave out the nutritional yeast in the recipe?
The nutritional yeast (I use this brand) gives a pleasant nutty flavor and texture that resembles traditional parmesan cheese. When paired up with the creamy cashews it really helps give that cheesy consistency we all love! So personally, I wouldn't leave it out.
Is there an alternative to soaking cashews overnight?
If you forget to soak your cashews or don't have the time, here's a tip. Boil water in a large pot. Then remove it from the heat and allow the cashews to sit in the hot water for 30-60 minutes. This will be enough to still give that ultra-creamy texture you want!
Can I make this pumpkin pasta with spaghetti squash?
If you want to skip pasta altogether - spaghetti squash or zucchini noodles can be a great alternative.
Can I make butternut squash mac and cheese instead?
Yes, totally! This recipe will work exactly the same with pureed butternut squash in place of the pureed pumpkin.
More Vegan Recipes
If you love this vegan pumpkin mac and cheese, be sure to check out these other delicious recipes:
Vegan Pumpkin Mac and Cheese
- 2 cups pumpkin puree
- ½ cup raw cashews soaked in cool water overnight or for 1 hour in boiling water
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 ½ teaspoons sea salt
- Freshly cracked black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 10 ounces rigatoni pasta medium-sized macaroni shells, or pasta of your choice
- Bring a large saucepan of water to a boil and salt generously. Cook the pasta according to the box directions until al dente and drain in a colander.
- In a high-powered blender, add the pumpkin, the soaked and drained cashews, nutritional yeast, mustard powder, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, nutmeg, salt, black pepper to taste, lemon juice, and coconut milk. Blend until the sauce is completely smooth and creamy, about 1–2 minutes. Taste for seasonings and adjust accordingly, adding more salt as needed.
- Return the cooked and drained pasta back to the saucepan and add the cheese sauce.
- Heat over medium heat until the sauce is well combined with the pasta and warmed through. Season the mac and cheese to taste.