Contemporary Candied Yams
Here’s a lightened version of the American holiday classic featuring sweet potatoes.
Serves: 8 or more
- 1/2 cup orange juice, preferably freshly-squeezed
- 1/2 cup natural granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- Pinch of nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons nonhydrogenated margarine, melted
- 3 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 1/4 cup finely chopped walnuts or pecans for topping, optional
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
Combine all the ingredients except the last two in a large mixing bowl. Stir until well combined. Add the sliced potatoes and stir well, then transfer to a shallow 1 1/2 -quart round or 9- by 13-inch baking dish.
Bake, covered, until the sweet potatoes are just tender, about 40 minutes. Stir once or twice during that time to distribute the liquid over the potatoes. If desired, sprinkle the nuts over the sweet potatoes at this time. Bake, uncovered, for an additional 10 to 15 minutes, or until the glaze thickens. Cover and keep warm until ready to serve.
- Enjoy more of VegKitchen’s sweet potato recipes.
- Here are more recipes to enjoy a Vegetarian and Vegan Friendly Thanksgiving.
- Find more ways to make Special Occasions and Entertaining easier and healthier.