Winter One-Pot Lentils and Rice
Some nights are so cold it’s hard to tear yourself away from the fire to make dinner. This is the recipe you need to make, perfect for your Instant Pot — winter one-pot lentils and rice. It’s hearty, filling, and uses staples from your pantry. Plus, there’s only about 10 minutes of hands-on time, then you can go back to the couch and curl up under a throw until it’s ready to eat. Recipe and photos by Kathy Hester, fromThe Ultimate Vegan Cookbook for Your Instant Pot © 2017. Published by Page Street Publishing, reprinted by permission.
- Sauté ingredients
- 1 tablespoon oil
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Pressure cooker ingredients
- 3½ cups water
- 1½ cups uncooked brown rice
- 1 cup uncooked brown lentils
- 1 cup peeled and diced rutabaga, turnip,or potato
- 2-inch sprig fresh rosemary
- 1 tablespoon dried marjoram or thyme
- Salt and pepper to taste
- For the sauté, use the sauté setting over normal, or medium heat, and heat the oil or broth. Add the onion and sauté until transparent, 5 minutes. Then add the garlic and sauté a minute more.
- For the pressure cooker, add the water, brown rice, lentils, rutabaga, rosemary and marjoram to the onion mixture and stir to combine.
- Put the lid on and make sure that the vent is sealed. Cook on manual setting at high pressure and set for 23 minutes.
- Let the pressure release naturally. Season with salt and pepper before serving and add more marjoram and ground rosemary as needed.
What’s an Instant Pot?
It’s a stand-alone plug-in appliance that wears a lot of hats. The settings are: pressure cooker, rice cooker, slow cooker, yogurt maker, steamer, saute, and it keeps your cooked food warm.
Instant Pot is a brand of multicookers that is very popular and has a stainless steel insert so there’s no non-stick coating that can come off in your food.
People are raving about it because you can cook whole food in less time than on the stove. I like that you don’t have to stand there in front of it while it’s cooking, but can tidy up, take a walk, or relax with a drink before dinner!
- Here are more recipes for Lentils and Peas.
*This post contains affiliate links. If the product is purchased by linking through this review, VegKitchen receives a modest commission, which helps maintain our site and helps it to continue growing!