This vegan chocolate pumpkin pie is rich and decadent, so a little slice will do. It's a nice variation on standard pumpkin pie at Thanksgiving dinner. Serve portions with vanilla nondairy ice cream or vegan whipped cream, cashew cream, or fresh fruit. Recipe and photo contributed by Dreena Burton, from Eat, Drink, and Be Vegan.*
Chocolate Pumpkin Pie
- 1 ¼ cups nondairy chocolate chips
- 14- ounce can organic pumpkin pie mix
- 2 tablespoons unrefined sugar
- 2 teaspoon arrowroot powder
- ⅛ teaspoon rounded sea salt
- 1 prepared chocolate cookie-crust pie shell see note
- 2 tablespoons nondairy chocolate chips optional (for garnish)
- Preheat oven to 425º F.
- Fit a metal or glass bowl over a saucepan on medium-low heat and filled with several inches of water (or use a double-boiler). Add 1 ¼ cups chocolate chips to bowl and stir occasionally as water simmers (not boils), letting chocolate melt.
- While chocolate is melting, in a food processor, add pumpkin pie mix (scraping out everything from can), sugar, arrowroot powder, and salt. Purée until very smooth, scraping down sides of bowl as needed. Once chocolate is melted, add to food processor and purée with pumpkin mixture, scraping down sides of bowl as needed.
- Pour mixture into pie crust (scraping out all filling) and tip pie back and forth gently to evenly distribute filling. Sprinkle on 2 tablespoon chocolate chips.
- Bake for 15 minutes, then reduce heat to 350 degrees F, and bake for another 35 minutes, until pie is set (the center may be soft, but it will set further as it cools).
- Carefully remove from oven and place on cooling rack. Let cool completely before slicing, refrigerating if desired.
- You can also use a traditional pastry crust or graham cracker crust if you prefer.
- Garish with fresh fruits and/or Sweet Cashew Cream if you'd like.
Visit Dreena at Eat, Drink & be Vegan.
- Here are more recipes to enjoy a Vegetarian and Vegan Friendly Thanksgiving.
- Find more ways to make Special Occasions and Entertaining easier and healthier.
- Explore more of VegKitchen's Easy Vegan Cakes and Pies.
- Sweet tooth still craving? Here are more Vegan Baking and Sweets.
*This post contains affiliate links. If the product is purchased by linking through this review, VegKitchen receives a modest commission, which helps maintain our site and helps it to continue growing!