Vegetable broth, garlic, mushrooms, and a bit of scallion make this brown rice side dish a treat in its own right, and not just a bed of grain for other dishes. This serves 6 as a side dish.
Easy Brown Rice with Mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 to 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 ½ cups brown rice see Note following recipe box, rinsed
- 32- ounce carton low-sodium vegetable broth
- 8 ounces brown mushrooms baby bella — aka cremini or shiitake, or a combination
- 2 to 3 cloves scallions thinly sliced
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste optional
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Add the garlic and sauté over low heat until golden, about 2 minutes.
- Add the rice and broth. Bring to a slow boil.
- Stir in the mushrooms, then lower the heat and simmer gently until the broth is absorbed, about 30 minutes. If the rice isn’t tender to your liking, add ½ cup water and simmer until absorbed.
- Stir in the scallions and season gently with salt and pepper (or omit). Let the rice stand off the heat, covered for 10 minutes or so before serving.
- Note: Try fragrant brown Basmati, which makes it extra tasty. Though any long- or medium grain variety, or even an exotic rice blend, work well.
Note: Try fragrant brown Basmati, which makes it extra tasty. Though any long- or medium grain variety, or even an exotic rice blend, work well.