Chickpea and Kale Sandwich Spread or Salad
Chickpeas and kale are a tasty team, and this combination makes a great spread for bread, a filling for pita bread or a wrap (along with some tender lettuce and sliced tomatoes), or layered scoop of it on a sturdy flatbread and served open-faced. For a nice warm weather meal, this is great served with any sort of potato salad and a simple fruit medley. Recipe from Plant Power: Transform Your Kitchen, Plate, and Life with More Than 150 Fresh and Flavorful Vegan Recipes by Nava Atlas. ©2014, published by HarperOne, reprinted by permission. Photos by Hannah Kaminsky.
Serves: 4 to 6 (makes 2 to 2 1/2 cups)
- 2 medium kale leaves (any variety), rinsed well
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 cups cooked or one 15- to 16-ounce can (drained and rinsed) chickpeas
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast (optional, but highly recommended)
- 1/3 cup vegan mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons yellow mustard
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley leaves or 1 to 2 tablespoons fresh dill leaves
- 1 to 2 scallions, green parts only, cut into large pieces, optional
- 1 to 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed or bottled lemon juice, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder, or more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin, or more to taste
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Fresh green sprouts (optional
Combine the kale and carrot in a food processor; pulse until finely chopped.
Add the remaining ingredients and pulse until the chickpeas are evenly chopped and everything is nicely blended—don’t overprocess; leave the mixture a bit chunky.
Transfer to a serving container and serve at once, or cover and refrigerate until needed.
Variation: Use a good handful of baby spinach or arugula in place of the kale.
Nutrition information (per 1/2 cup serving)
Calories: 220; Total fat: 7g; Protein: 13g; Carbohydrates: 29g; Fiber: 9g; Sodium: 208mg