Broccoli and Red Cabbage Salad
Dress this simple and pretty salad of broccoli, red cabbage, cherry tomatoes, and olives with a tasty salsa salad dressing, or just use any favorite dressing. This adds color and crunch to the dinner plate. Photos by Evan Atlas.
- 3 cups bite-size broccoli florets (see Note)
- 1 cup thinly sliced red cabbage, or more, if desired
- 1/2 pint (about 1 cup) halved cherry tomatoes (red or golden)
- 1/2 cup cured black olives, such as kalamata, halved if desired
- Salsa and Olive Oil Salad Dressing, as desired
(or use any favorite dressing, such as vinaigrette, to taste)
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Dry-roasted sunflower seeds as desired
Combine the first 4 ingredients in a large salad bowl and toss.
Dress as desired with salsa salad dressing or oil and lemon juice or vinegar and toss again.
Season with salt and pepper. Add a sprinkling of sunflower seed and toss again.
Note: If you prefer your broccoli lightly steamed rather than raw, by all means do so. Steam the broccoli briefly in a small amount of water just until bright green, then drain and rinse until cool before proceeding with the salad.