Chickpea, Avocado, and Spinach Spread
If you’re looking for an easy, healthy, and yummy spread for fresh bread, crackers, or tortilla chips, you’re in luck. This one combines tasty chickpeas with smooth avocado, and boosted with a good dose of baby spinach or arugula. Spread it on toast any time of day — even for breakfast, or scoop a little of the soft center from a fresh crusty baguette. It’s as good for everyday lunches as it is as a special occasion dip or spread. Makes about 2 cups. Photos by Evan Atlas.
- 15-ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 to 2 big handfuls baby spinach or arugula
- 1 scallion, green parts only
- 1 medium ripe avocado, pitted and peeled
- ⅓ cup vegan mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon lemon or lime juice, or to taste
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon dried dill
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Combine the chickpeas, spinach, and scallion in a food processor. Pulse on and off until roughly chopped.
- Add the remaining ingredients except the salt and pepper. Pulse on and off again until nicely combined; leave some texture.
- Transfer to a serving bowl.
- Taste and see if you’d like more lemon or lime juice, then season with salt and pepper.
- Serve as suggested in the headnote. Store leftovers in a well-sealed container in the refrigerator, where this will keep for several days.