Fresh Corn and Tomato Salad
This pleasing combination of two of summer’s premier bumper crops—corn and tomatoes—makes for a delightful mid-to late-summer salad that goes with just about any kind of meal. Pair it with a simple bean dish and/or Creamy Chilled Avocado Soup or serve with Vegan Quesadillas. Photos by Hannah Kaminsky.
- 3 cups or so cooked fresh corn kernels (from 4 medium ears)
- 3 to 4 medium firm ripe tomatoes, diced
- 1 large carrot, peeled and diced
- 1 large celery stalk, diced
- 1 small red bell pepper, diced
- Sliced fresh basil leaves, as desired
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar, to taste
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon agave nectar
- Pinch of dried thyme
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Combine the salad ingredients in a serving bowl.
- Combine all the dressing ingredients in a small bowl and stir together until well blended. Pour over the salad and toss well.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper. You can serve at once, but this salad benefits from standing for a short while — 30 to 45 minutes — at room temperature (covered) before serving.
- If you have time to let the salad stand for a bit, stir occasionally to distribute the dressing. Taste to adjust the sweet/tangy balance before serving.