Kale and Cucumber Salad with Avocado-Tahini Dressing
Massaged kale served simply with cucumbers, carrots, and a luscious dressing of avocado and tahini is an incredible treat. It’s fantastic as a lighter and more refreshing kale salad to serve in warmer weather, though you can enjoy this any time of year. Adapted from Wild About Greens by Nava Atlas. Photos by Evan Atlas.
- 1 medium ripe avocado, peeled and diced
- ⅓ cup sesame paste (tahini)
- Juice of 1 lemon
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 to 4 tablespoons minced fresh parsley or cilantro, to taste
- 8 to 10 ounces kale, any variety, rinsed and dried
- 1 medium cucumber, quartered lengthwise, seeds cut away, and sliced
- 1 cup grated carrot (or ribbons you can make with a peeler)
- ¼ cup minced fresh parsley
- 2 scallions, green parts only, thinly sliced
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 3 to 4 tablespoons toasted pumpkin or sunflower seeds, optional
- Combine all the ingredients for the dressing in a food processor and puree until smooth. Add ¼ to ⅓ cup water, or as needed, to achieve a medium-thick consistency. Set aside.
- Remove the kale leaves from the stems. If you like using the stems, slice them very thinly; otherwise discard. Cut the kale into thin slices.
- Place the kale in a serving bowl. Rub a small amount of olive oil onto your palms and massage the kale leaves for 30 to 60 seconds, until they turn bright green and soften.
- Combine the kale with the remaining ingredients in a serving bowl. Toss together.
- Stir about half of the dressing into the salad, or simply pass it around when serving. Transfer any leftovers the dressing to a covered container and refrigerate and use within two days.
- Season the salad with salt and pepper, sprinkle with optional seeds, and serve.
- Here are more raw kale salads.