Tortellini or Ravioli in Sweet Potato Sauce
Sweet potato sauce for pasta? Try it and see! Serve with strips of colorful sautéed bell peppers and zucchini. Adapted from Pasta East to West.
Serves: 4 to 6
Sweet potato sauce:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 to 2 1/2 cups diced sweet potato (from 1 large)
- 1 cup rice milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 16 ounces tofu- or vegetable-filled tortellini or ravioli
- Minced fresh parsley for garnish, optional
Heat the oil in a medium saucepan. Add the onion and garlic and sauté over medium-low heat until golden. Add the diced sweet potato and just enough water to cover. Bring to a simmer, then cover and simmer gently until the sweet potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes.
Transfer the mixture from the saucepan, along with the rice milk and salt, to a food processor. Process until smoothly pureed. Transfer back to the saucepan and set aside, covered, off the heat.
Cook the tortellini in plenty of rapidly simmering water until al dente. Drain, then stir them into the sweet potato sauce. Heat gently and briefly, just until well heated through.
Serve, garnishing each serving with some parsley, if desired.
- Find more of VegKitchen’s Vegan Dinner Recipes and Pasta Entrées.
- Here are more hearty vegan pasta recipes.