Roasted Barbecue-Flavored Tofu and Vegetables
Here’s a tofu preparation that’s nothing fancy, but still so good, and easy enough for a quick weeknight meal. Tofu is combined with bell peppers, carrots, zucchini, and onions in a flavorful barbecue sauce and then baked. Serve with a simple quinoa dish and a big salad. Photos by Evan Atlas.
- Two 14- to 16-ounce tubs extra-firm tofu
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into wide strips
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into wide strips
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and sliced diagonally
- 1 medium zucchini, sliced
- 1 medium onion, halved and thinly sliced, rings separated
- 3/4 to 1 cup natural barbecue sauce,
or Quick Vegan Barbecue Sauce, or as needed
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
Cut the tofu 1/2-inch thick, then blot well between clean tea-towels or several layers of paper towel. Cut the slices into strips or dice.
Stir all the ingredients together in a mixing bowl, then transfer to a foil-lined and lightly oiled roasting pan.
Bake for 10 minutes, then stir gently wearing an oven mitt. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes longer, or until the tofu and vegetables are nicely roasted.