Quick Vegan Barbecue Sauce
Though I’m all for good store-bought sauces as shortcuts, I’ve never found a prepared vegan barbecue sauce I’ve really liked. This easy, no-cook BBQ sauce takes nearly no time to make. It’s especially delicious with plant-based protein foods—tofu, tempeh, and seitan—prepared on the grill. See Barbecued Tofu, Tempeh, or Seitan for ideas and directions.
Makes: about 2 cups
- 1 1/2 cups tomato sauce
- 3 tablespoons agave nectar or maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce or tamari, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon sweet or smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano or basil
Combine all the ingredients in a mixing bowl and mix well. If time allows, cover and let stand for an hour or so to allow the flavors to combine more fully. But don’t worry if you need to use it right away, it will still be quite good.
- Find more recipes for grilling in VegKitchen’s The Vegan Barbecue.
- Find more ways to make Special Occasions and Entertaining easier and healthier.
- Here are lots more recipes for simple sauces and such.
Print This Post