This sweet side dish of spiced carrots and apples brightens the Passover dinner plate.
Serves: 6 to 8
- 1/3 cup quinoa flakes
- 5 large carrots, grated
- 2 medium apples, peeled, cored, and grated
- 1/3 cup raisins
- 2 tablespoons safflower or other healthy vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup sweet Passover wine
- 1/4 cup natural granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice or nutmeg
Preheat the oven to 350º F.
Combine the quinoa flakes with 2/3 cup boiling water in a heatproof bowl. Let stand while the other ingredients are being prepared.
Combine all the ingredients in a mixing bowl. Pour in the quinoa flakes and mix well.
Pour into an oiled 9- by 5- by 3-inch loaf pan. Cover and bake for 40 minutes. Uncover and bake another 30 to 40 minutes, or until the top is nicely browned and crusty. Let cool. Slice and serve warm or at room temperature.
- Find more at VegKitchen’s Passover: Ashkenazic-Style Seder page.
- Find more ways to make Special Occasions and Entertaining easier and healthier.