Asian Edamame and Tofu Chopped Salad
This was inspired by one of my favorite dishes offered by Veggie Heaven in Teaneck, New Jersey, an all-vegan Chinese-style eatery. It’s quite unlike their signature mock meat dishes, and really, quite unlike anything I have ever eaten in an Asian restaurant.
Serves: 4 to 6
- 1 cup frozen edamame, thawed
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 1 cup zucchini, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 small red or orange bell pepper, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 2 large stalks celery, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 4 to 5 ounces baked tofu, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced scallion
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons dark sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Cook the edamame according to package directions, then drain and rinse in a colander until cool.
Toast the pine nuts in a small, dry skillet over medium heat until golden.
Combine the edamame and pine nuts with the remaining ingredients in a serving container and toss together. Serve at once.