Stir-Fried Greens with Napa Cabbage and Tofu
Napa cabbage is a superb companion to dark leafy greens, adding a lighter texture and flavor as well as visual interest. This dish comes very close to being downright addictive. It’s an amped-up variation of Stir-Fried Chard with Napa Cabbage from Wild About Greens, with tofu added, and the flexibility of using whichever kinds of greens are most abundant in your garden or at the farm market. Serve with (or over) a simple noodle or grain dish and a bright, colorful salad.
Serves: 4 to 6
- 14-to 16-ounce tub extra-firm tofu
- 2 tablespoons olive or other vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce or tamari
- 10 to 12 ounces chard, kale, collard greens, or any combination of
dark leafy greens, stemmed and cut into ribbons
- 1/2 medium head napa cabbage, cut into ribbons
- 3 to 4 shallots, finely chopped
- 2 to 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium leek, chopped and well washed, optional
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Dried hot red pepper flakes to taste
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
Cut the tofu into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Blot well between clean tea-towels or several layers of paper towel, and cut into 1/2-inch thick strips.
Slowly heat half of the oil and soy sauce together in a stir-fry pan or wide skillet, stirring together as they heat. Add the tofu and stir quickly to coat with the liquid. Sauté over medium-high heat until golden-brown and crisp on most sides, about 10 minutes. Remove from the pan to a plate.
Meanwhile, prepare the greens as directed.
Heat the remaining oil in the same pan. Add the shallots, garlic, and optional leek and sauté over medium-low heat until all are golden.
Stir the chard in quickly to coat with the oil, then turn the heat up to high. Stir-fry a minutes or so, then add the napa cabbage. Continue to stir-fry until both are tender-crisp, about 2 to 3 minutes.
Season with salt, pepper, and dried hot red pepper flakes. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and serve at once.
- Here are more recipes for easy vegetable stir-fries.
- Here are lots more easy tofu recipes.
- Here are more recipes for hardy greens.
- Explore more of VegKitchen’s recipes for Cabbages and Lettuces – Beyond Salads!