Vegan BLT Salad
The smoky-sweet flavor of tempeh bacon makes a simple salad sizzle. Especially in winter, when salad is a lot less tempting than soups and stews, adding something warm and hearty like tempeh bacon makes it more appealing. And if you’re lightening up post-winter holidays, the classic combo of lettuce, tomatoes, and (vegan) bacon minus the bread will hit the spot without feeling heavy. Use your favorite kind of store-bought tempeh bacon, or try Dreena Burton’s fabulous Baconut, a homemade bacon substitute made with coconut flakes.
- 6 to 8 slices vegan bacon or 1 recipeBaconut
- Olive oil or cooking oil spray
- 2 to 3 small tomatoes or Roma tomatoes, sliced
- Romaine lettuce or a combination of romaine and baby spinach, as desired
- ½ cup grated or chopped carrots and/or or 1 medium bell pepper, cut into narrow strips
- ½ medium avocado, diced
- ¼ cup vegan mayonnaise, more or less as desired
- 1 to 2 teaspoons lemon juice, to taste
- Cook the vegan bacon in a skillet with a little oil or cooking oil spray — just enough to coat the pan — until lightly browned on both sides. Or, prepare the Baconut recipe as directed. Turn off the heat and cover until needed.
- Combine the remaining ingredients in a salad bowl and mix until the vegetables are evenly coated with the vegan mayo.
- When ready to serve, chop the vegan bacon into ½-inch pieces and stir into the salad. Or, if you made Baconut, stir it in. Either way, serve at once.
- Here are more super savory salads