Vegan Ravioli Soup with Fresh Tomatoes
This hearty vegan ravioli soup makes for filling fare. It’s a wonderful choice for late summer that are starting to get cool, and is a good way to use up tomatoes that are a bit past the season’s peak. Serve with a good store-bought focaccia bread and a tossed salad.
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 16-ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 pound fresh flavorful tomatoes, diced
- 1 small zucchini, sliced
- 2 teaspoons Itailan herb seasoning blend
- 8- to 10-ounce package ounce frozen vegan tortellini
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Thinly sliced fresh basil to taste, optional
Heat the oil in a soup pot. Add the onion and sauté over medium heat until translucent. Add the garlic, carrots, and celery, and continue to sauté until the onion is golden.
Add the tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, and 3 cups of the water. Stir in the seasonings and bring to a simmer, then cover and simmer gently until the vegetables are tender, about 15 to 20 minutes.
Meanwhile, cook the tortellini according to package directions in a separate saucepan until al dente.
Stir the cooked tortellini into the soup and season with salt and pepper. Simmer gently for 2 to 3 minutes longer. Adjust the consistency with more water if necessary.
Stir in the parsley and serve. Top individual portions with thinly sliced fresh basil, if desired.
- Explore other recipes for hearty winter soups.