Southeast Asian-Flavored Spicy Mashed Potatoes
Here’s an unusual twist on ordinary mashed potatoes inspired by a Southeast Asian recipe. These mashed potatoes are embellished with fresh chili pepper, coconut yogurt, and ginger. Serve with a simple tempeh or tofu dish (Sweet and Smoky Tofu or Tempeh Strips go well with this) and a bountiful tossed salad for an easy meal.
Serves: 4 to 6
- 5 large russet or Yukon Gold potatoes
- 1 tablespoon olive or safflower oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup plain coconut yogurt or vegan sour cream,
homemade or purchased
- 1 small fresh hot chili pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh or jarred ginger, or to taste
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro, or more, to taste
- 1/4 cup chopped chives or minced scallion
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Bake or microwave the potatoes in their skins until easily pierced with a knife.When the potatoes are done, plunge them into cold water for a minute or two, so that they can be handled, then peel. If you prefer, you can also peel and dice the potatoes, and cook in just enough water to keep them moist, until tender. Any way you cook them, place the potatoes in a serving container and mash well. Cover and keep warm.
Heat the oil in a small skillet. Add the onion and sauté over medium heat until lightly browned. Add the chili pepper and sauté for a minute or two longer.
Stir in the sautéed onions and remaining ingredients into the mashed potatoes, then serve.
- Here are more easy, tasty potato recipes.
Leave a Reply
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *