Southeast Asian-Flavored Spicy Mashed Potatoes
Here’s an unusual twist on ordinary mashed potatoes. Serve with veggie burgers and a bountiful tossed salad for an easy meal.
Serves: 4 to 6
- 5 large russet or Yukon Gold potatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive or safflower oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup plain coconut yogurt or vegan sour cream
- 1 small fresh hot chili pepper, seeded and minced,
or one 4-ounce can chopped mild green chilies or
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh or jarred ginger, or to taste
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro, or more, to taste
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Microwave the potatoes in their skins until easily pierced with a knife.
Meanwhile, heat the oil in a small skillet. Add the onion and sauté over medium heat until lightly browned. Add the chili pepper and sauté for a minute or two longer. Set aside until needed.
When the potatoes are done, plunge them into cold water for a minute or two, so that they can be handled. Peel them and coarsely mash them in a serving container. Stir in the sautéed onions along with the remaining ingredients. Serve at once.
- Here are more easy, tasty potato recipes.