With the holidays approaching you will have to try this vegan sweet potato This vegan sweet potato casserole is comfort food at its best! Rich, creamy sweet potatoes melted together with brown sugar and cinnamon, and layered with a crunchy pecan topping. Perfect for the holidays!
This Vegan Sweet Potato Casserole Recipe Is...
- Gluten Free
- Dairy Free
How to Make This Vegan Sweet Potato Casserole Recipe
Full steps on how to make this vegan sweet potato casserole is in the post below. This is a quick walk through on how it is made.
- Start by preheating your oven and prep your baking dish.
- Then you will mash the cooked sweet potatoes and add in the other ingredients and mixing until creamy.
- Then you will add the topping ingredients in a bowl.
- Sprinkle over the sweet potatoes, and then bake until golden brown and bubbly.
- Serve warm and enjoy.
Helpful Tips for Making Sweet Potato Casserole
Prep In Advance
You will find you can prep the sweet potatoes in advance to speed up the prep work if you would like. You can peel and dice up the potatoes and cook in water until fork tender. Or you can bake the sweet potatoes whole in the oven until fork tender.
We love to have a creamy texture to the sweet potatoes. By mashing it fully it will give you a super nice and creamy texture. You can leave pieces larger to add texture to the casserole.
Sweet Potato Casserole Variations
Stronger Coconut Flavor
If you want to help amplify the coconut flavor in the casserole you can add ¼ cup shredded coconut to the topping. This will add another layer of flavor to the casserole.
Feel free to swap pecans with walnuts if you would like. It will change up the flavor a bit without taking too much away from the flavor.
If you don't have or use almond milk, you can swap with coconut milk, cashew milk, or another plant based dairy alternative.
Sweet Potato Casserole Frequently Asked Questions
Are canned yams and sweet potatoes the same?
Depending on where you live you might find you can buy yams and sweet potatoes. They look very similar to each other but some offer a whiter flesh vs an orange flesh of the potatoes.
Can sweet potato casserole be made ahead and frozen?
You can indeed make and freeze your casserole if you would like. Just prep the casserole and refrigerate or freeze until you are ready to bake the casserole. If you do freeze place in a cooled oven and begin baking.
How to store leftovers?
Store any leftovers you would like in the fridge for 3-5 days. You can reheat the casserole in the microwave or even in the oven if you would like.
More Vegan Recipes
If you love this vegan sweet potato casserole, be sure to check out these other delicious ideas:
And for the easiest holiday yet, don't forget to check out my complete Vegan Thanksgiving cookbook!
Vegan Sweet Potato Casserole
For the sweet potato:
For the topping:
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- ½ cup flour
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil melted
- Preheat oven to 400 F, grease a 2 qt baking dish and set aside
- Combine the cooked potatoes, almond milk, brown sugar, coconut oil, cinnamon, vanilla and salt until smooth and slightly fluffy, pour into prepared baking dish and beat until smooth and slightly fluffy, pour into prepared baking dish.
- Stir together the chopped pecans, flour, brown sugar, and cinnamon.
- Then mix in the melted coconut oil until mixture looks like wet sand.
- Evenly spread out the sweet potato mixture into the prepare casserole pan.
- Sprinkle the topping over the sweet potato mixture.
- Bake until topping is golden brown and filling is bubbly
- Serve warm
- This is so creamy and tasty - you wouldn't know it is vegan!
- You can amplify the coconut flavor in this by using coconut milk and adding ¼ cup shredded coconut to the topping
- It is so much easier to prepare the potatoes in advance, but if you are making it all at once then you will need 6-8 medium sweet potatoes peeled and cubed. Boil until tender then mash with a fork (any remaining lumps will get broken up when you beat it with the milk to to make the filling)