Step aside burgers, there's a new patty in town! These Vegan Chickpea Patties are a nutritional powerhouse that's loaded with hearty flavors. Perfect for a barbecue or just a simple vegan friendly weeknight meal.
Chickpeas are one of my all time favorite plant based ingredients. They're nutritional powerhouses, filled with protein and fiber. They're hearty, delicious, and pairing them with an array of seasonings can transform these simple legumes into something exotically delicious. I'm guilty of tossing them into all kinds of recipes from heavy winter stews to light chickpea salads.
These chickpea patties marry convenience with fantastic taste. They're quick to make in just a half hour, which means they're easy enough for a weeknight dinner. But they're also perfect for grilling at those fall tailgate parties and summer cookouts.
Besides serving them as veggie burgers, you can use these patties as an addition to fresh salads or as companions to your favorite dipping sauce. Yum!
These vegan chickpea patties are:
- Perfect for grilling!
- A simple 100% vegan meal idea.
- Totally delicious.
- Easy to make in under 30 minutes.
Chill the patties
Don't skip on chilling the patties before cooking - you can even chill them for a bit longer than noted. A well-chilled patty holds its shape much better while cooking.
Bake the chickpea patties
You don't have to stick to pan-frying your patties — baking in the oven at 375°F for 20-25 minutes also works just fine. Just remember to flip them halfway through.
Grill the chickpea patties
Cook the chickpea patties on the grill over medium heat for 4-6 minutes on each side.
I fried my patties in a bit of olive oil, because it's most convenient for me. But coconut oil or canola oil are also good alternatives.
You can make this chickpea patties in advance if you wish. Just prepare the patties and then store them in the fridge, in a covered container. They will keep for 2-3 days in the fridge, before being cooked.
You can save leftover chickpea patties in a covered container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months. Reheat in a hot pan or in the oven to get a crispy finish.
Mediterranean Chickpea Patties
First up, if you have a thing for Mediterranean foods, add in some cumin, coriander, and lemon zest.
Asian Chickpea Patties
For an Asian twist, toss in some sesame seeds, a little soy sauce, and a hint of ginger.
Mix in some chili flakes or use spicy smoked paprika instead of the regular one to give your patties a kick of heat.
Italian Chickpea Patties
If you fancy an Italian touch, a bit of dried basil and oregano, or even a few minced sun-dried tomatoes, will give your patties a rich, savory flavor.
Make it gluten-free
Replace the panko with gluten-free bread crumbs or crushed gluten-free crackers.
More Tasty Vegan Ideas
If you love these vegan chickpea patties, be sure to check out these other tasty recipes:
Vegan Chickpea Patties
- In a large bowl, use a fork to mash chickpeas until they are all smashed. Alternatively you can use a food processor to pulse them a few times until they are chopped but not pasty.
- Add the panko, flax egg, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, smoke paprika, and black pepper and stir until evenly combined.
- Form into nugget sized patties and place on a lined baking sheet. Chill in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat, add enough oil to the pan so that it is completely coated, then add the patties in batches to the pan and cook 3-4 minutes per side, or until golden brown and heated through.
- Place on a paper towel to absorb extra oil.
- Serve warm with your favorite dipping sauce.