Spice up your veggie burger game with these Chipotle Black Bean Burgers! Packed with protein from black beans, bursting with chipotle flavor, and just the right amount of spice.
These totally delicious chipotle black bean burgers will have you saying adios to your regular old veggie burger recipes. They're loaded with Mexican inspired flavor and ready to eat in just 30 minutes.
These Chipotle Black Bean Burgers Are..
- Gluten Free
- Packed with chipotle flavor!
- Great for an easy weeknight dinner.
- Kid friendly!
Toss your black bean burgers on a toasted bun and add on your favorite vegan mayo, vegan cheese, and veggies. Then enjoy for a lunch or dinner. These vegetable burgers are made with the perfect spices so they are anything but bland.
How to Make Black Bean Burgers
Full steps are in the printable recipe card at the bottom of the post. This is a quick walk through on how easy it is to make these burgers.
- Preheat the oven and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Sauté the vegetables until softened.
- Mash up the beans in a bowl. Then add the veggies and spices.
- Form into four burger patties.
- Bake and serve hot.
Scroll down for detailed instructions and the printable recipe card.
What You'll Need
You'll need a baking sheet for these oven baked veggie burgers. I like to line mine with parchment paper or use a silicone baking mat to create a nonstick surface, and make clean up really easy too.
A potato masher is by far the easiest way to mash up your black beans. I get the best texture with one of these wire mashers, but you can also use the back of a fork if you don't have a potato masher.
Tips for Perfect Black Bean Burgers
Make Even Sized Burgers
Make sure you evenly divide the mixture and create similar sized burgers. Otherwise, you can find that some of your burgers can become dry and overcooked, while others might be underdone.
Variations to this Vegan Burger Recipe
Roast the Vegetables
I sauteed the veggies for these chipotle black bean burgers, which makes the recipe really quick and easy. But you could also opt to roast them for a deeper, smokier flavor.
Mix up the Seasonings
So I went with a Chipotle flavor for these vegan burgers, but feel free to play around with spices. This is a wonderful base for a vegan burger patty, that you can customize to your own preferences.
Swap the Veggies
Want to use up some of that leftover produce in your fridge? Feel free to change up the veggies used in this recipe! Zucchini or peppers would make a great addition.
Black Bean Vegan Burger FAQs
What is a chipotle black bean burger?
A chipotle black bean burger is a veggie burger typically made primarily with black beans, vegetables, and seasoned with chipotle peppers and Mexican-inspired seasonings. It's a popular meatless alternative to beef burgers that will offer a good source of protein and flavor. Serve on a bun or in a lettuce wrap!
How long will black bean burgers last in the fridge?
Black bean burgers can last for 3-4 days in the fridge if stored properly. Place in an airtight container. Reheat in the microwave or on the stovetop. If you don't plan to eat the burgers right away, you can freeze them to extend the shelf life.
How do you freeze black bean burgers?
Wrap each black bean burger tightly in plastic wrap or aluminum foil. This will help prevent freezer burn and keep the burgers nice and fresh. Place the wrapped black bean burgers in a resealable freezer bag. Squeeze out any excess air and seal the bag tightly. Then place the freezer bag in the freezer and freeze the black bean burgers for up to 3 months.
How do you reheat black bean burgers from frozen?
To thaw the black bean burgers, remove them from the freezer and let them thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Once thawed, you can reheat the black bean burgers in the oven, on a grill, in the microwave, or in a skillet.
More Tasty Vegan Ideas
If you love these chipotle black bean burgers, be sure to check out these other delicious ideas:
- 6 Ways to Use Veggie Burgers - other than on a bun!
- Vegan Beet and Brown Rice Burgers
- The Internet's Best Veggie Burgers!
Chipotle Black bean Burgers
- Potato masher optional
- Baking tray
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion finely diced
- 1 carrot finely diced
- 1 stalk celery minced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 19 oz black beans canned, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed + 3 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons chipotle pepper in adobo minced
- 1 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
For serving (optional)
- vegan mayonnaise
- burger buns
- Preheat oven to 375 F, line a baking sheet with parchment and set aside
- Mix together the flax seed and 3 tbsp water in a small bowl. Set aside. (This is your "flax egg".)
- In a larger pan over medium heat, heat the olive oil, then add the onion, carrot, celery and garlic.
- Cook, stirring frequently, until the vegetables are softened.
- Mash the black beans in a large bowl
- Then mix in the cooked veggies along with panko, flax egg, chipotles, chili powder and paprika.
- Mix until fully combined.
- Form into four large patties and place onto prepared baking sheet.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes, flipping once halfway through.
- Serve warm on buns with vegan mayo, lettuce, and any other toppings desired
Leave a Reply