Tempeh and vegetables enveloped in barbecue sauce and roasted brings out amazing flavors, and makes your kitchen aromatic as they bake. Serve with a simple grain or pasta dish and a green salad for an easy weeknight meal. Photos by Hannah Kaminsky.
- Two 8-ounce packages tempeh, any variety
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into wide strips
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into wide strips
- 1 cup baby carrots
- 1 medium zucchini, sliced ½ inch thick
- 1 medium red onion, halved and thinly sliced, rings separated
- 1 cup small whole baby bella or crimini mushrooms, optional
- 1 to 1 ½ cups barbecue sauce, homemade or store-bought,
or as needed to coat ingredients
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
Cut the tempeh in half lengthwise, then crosswise into short, ½-inch-thick strips.
Stir all the ingredients together in a mixing bowl, then transfer to a foil-lined and lightly oiled roasting pan. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the vegetables are just tender, stirring after the first 10 minutes, then serve.
Per serving: 324 calories; 9.5g fat; 330mg sodium; 36g carbs; 2g fiber; 23g protein