This vegan take on a classic lettuce wedge salad reminds me of many family dinners eaten out at The Brown Derby: a big, crunchy wedge of lettuce topped with a creamy dressing and sprinkled with salty bacon. My version subs tempeh for bacon and adds a little sweetness with fresh pears. Recipe and photo by Ann Oliverio, from Crave, Eat, Heal: Plant-Based Whole Food Recipes to Satisfy Every Appetite* reprinted with permission © 2015 Front Table Books.
Butter Lettuce Wedges with Sunflower Seed Dressing, Pears, and Tempeh Bacon
Dressing (see Note)
- ½ cup raw sunflower seeds
- ½ cup non-dairy milk
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Pinch sea salt
- 1 teaspoon dried chives or 1 tablespoon fresh chives, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley chopped
- 2 large heads butter lettuce cut into quarters
- 2 ripe pears cored and thinly sliced
- Tempeh bacon crumbled or chopped (exclude if going for 100% raw)
- Add the sunflower seeds through the salt in a high-speed or regular blender and process until very smooth. Add the chives and parsley and pulse a few times to incorporate. Set aside.
- Place two butter lettuce wedges each in four bowls. Divide the pear slices, the tempeh bacon and the dressing between the bowls. Serve.
- Note: If the dressing is too thick, add water, a little bit at at time, to get the consistency you like.
- Here are more Super Savory Salads.
* This post contains affiliate links. If the product is purchased by linking through this review, VegKitchen receives a modest commission, which helps maintain our site and helps it to continue growing!
Informative URL for Test Kits Elisa says
This is my kind of salad lettuce with pear or apple and a whole lot of dressing.