This vegan take on a classic lettuce wedge salad reminds me of many family dinners eaten out at The Brown Derby: a big, crunchy wedge of lettuce topped with a creamy dressing and sprinkled with salty bacon. My version subs tempeh for bacon and adds a little sweetness with fresh pears. Recipe and photo by Ann Oliverio, from Crave, Eat, Heal: Plant-Based Whole Food Recipes to Satisfy Every Appetite* reprinted with permission © 2015 Front Table Books.
Butter Lettuce Wedges with Sunflower Seed Dressing, Pears, and Tempeh Bacon
Dressing (see Note)
- ½ cup raw sunflower seeds
- ½ cup non-dairy milk
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Pinch sea salt
- 1 teaspoon dried chives or 1 tablespoon fresh chives, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley chopped
- 2 large heads butter lettuce cut into quarters
- 2 ripe pears cored and thinly sliced
- Tempeh bacon crumbled or chopped (exclude if going for 100% raw)
- Add the sunflower seeds through the salt in a high-speed or regular blender and process until very smooth. Add the chives and parsley and pulse a few times to incorporate. Set aside.
- Place two butter lettuce wedges each in four bowls. Divide the pear slices, the tempeh bacon and the dressing between the bowls. Serve.
- Note: If the dressing is too thick, add water, a little bit at at time, to get the consistency you like.
- Here are more Super Savory Salads.
* This post contains affiliate links. If the product is purchased by linking through this review, VegKitchen receives a modest commission, which helps maintain our site and helps it to continue growing!