A mild, comforting skillet dish that never fails to delight, this combination of broccoli, bell pepper, and baked tofu is on the table in less than 30 minutes. Serve over cooked brown rice, quinoa, or other grain of your choice, if you’d like, or accompany with baked sweet potatoes. Round out the meal with a salad or a platter of raw veggies and dip. Photos by Evan Atlas.
Creamy Broccoli and Tofu Skillet
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 to 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 large red bell pepper cut into short narrow strips
- 2 large broccoli crowns cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 cup sliced cremini aka baby bella mushrooms, optional
- 1 cup plain unsweetened rice milk
- 2 tablespoons unbleached white flour or 1 tablespoon arrowroot
- 8- ounce package baked tofu cut into short, narrow strips
- 1/2 cup grated Mozzarella-style nondairy cheese
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup sliced sun-dried tomatoes preferably not oil-cured, optional
- Handful of sliced basil leaves optional
- Hot cooked grains or pasta
- Heat the oil in a large skillet or stir-fry pan. Sauté the garlic over medium-low heat for a minute or so, until just turning golden.
- Add the bell pepper, broccoli, and 1/2 cup water. Cover and cook over medium heat until the broccoli is tender-crisp, about 4 minutes.
- Use a little of the rice milk to dissolve the flour or arrowroot until it’s smooth and flowing. Stir it into the skillet along with the remaining milk and baked tofu.
- Stir in the cheese, and simmer gently until everything is well heated through, about 5 minutes. Serve at once over pasta or grains.