Frying tempeh in red palm oil gives it a rich flavor and meaty texture. You can use coconut oil or sesame oil and swap other seasonal vegetables for infinite tasty variations. In this recipe I used mirin, a sweet rice cooking wine, feel free to use another cooking wine or water. Serve this stir fry on top of rice and with a side of fresh pineapple for a fine meal. Copyright © 2013 Leslie Cerier. Photo by Tracey Eller.
Ginger Tempeh Vegetable Stir Fry
Frying tempeh in red palm oil gives it a rich flavor and meaty texture. You can use coconut oil or sesame oil and swap other seasonal vegetables for infinite tasty variations.Print Pin Rate Email
- 3 tablespoons organic red palm oil or extra-virgin coconut oil
- 3 tablespoons grated ginger
- 2 tablespoons tamari
- 1 tablespoon mirin water or wine
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 1 cup carrots sliced into match sticks
- 8 ounce soy tempeh cut into ½ inch cubes
- 2 cups sliced summer squash in half moons
- 2 cups coarsely chopped bok choy
- Heat and melt the oil in a wok or large skillet over medium-high heat. Add ginger, mirin, and tamari and fry for a minute to blend flavors.
- Add onions, carrots and tempeh and stir fry for 5 minutes, or until the carrots turn bright orange.
- Add the summer squash and continue to stir fry for 3 minutes, or until it turns bright yellow.
- Turn off the heat and stir in bok choy, which will wilt and turn bright green quickly. Taste and adjust the seasonings; add more tamari for a saltier taste, if you like.
Calories: 271kcal | Carbohydrates: 22g | Protein: 13g | Fat: 17g | Saturated Fat: 10g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 3g | Monounsaturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 88mg | Potassium: 699mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 10g | Vitamin A: 7026IU | Vitamin C: 31mg | Calcium: 134mg | Iron: 2mg
Vegan-ize any recipe!Grab our free vegan cheat sheet, packed with my favorite easy substitutions to make any recipe vegan.
- Here are more tempeh recipes.
Leave a Reply