This vegan breakfast recipe updates regular scrambled tofu with mushrooms and bell peppers. Omnivores and vegans alike will love waking up to this dish!
Soft tofu is a good choice for dishes in which it is crumbled, as in this veggie-filled, egg-free scramble. While this would certainly also make a good brunch or lunch dish, it also makes a wonderful light dinner with whole grain toast or sautéed potatoes, and some sliced oranges or other seasonal fresh fruit. Photos by Evan Atlas.
Mushroom and Bell Pepper Scrambled Tofu
Serves: 3 to 4
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large red bell pepper, cut into short, narrow strips
- 1–1 ½ cups sliced white or crimini mushrooms
- 1 (14–16 oz) tub firm or silken tofu, drained and crumbled
- 2–3 scallions, sliced
- 1–2 tsp curry powder, to taste
- 1 tsp all-purpose seasoning blend (such as Frontier or Mrs. Dash)
- salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Heat the oil in a large skillet. Add the bell peppers and mushrooms and cook over medium heat until they are done to your liking, or about 6 to 8 minutes. Turn up the heat to cook away any liquid that has formed, if need be.
- Add the remaining ingredients and cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until everything is well heated through, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Serve at once.
Here are more: