Combining brown rice, tofu, and peanuts in a simple main dish stir-fry, this is sure to become a mainstay in your repertoire if you enjoy these ingredients. Having the rice cooked ahead of time makes this a breeze. Photos by Evan Atlas.
Peanut Rice and Tofu
Combining brown rice, tofu, and peanuts in a simple main dish, this will be a mainstay in your repertoire if you enjoy these ingredients.Print Pin Rate Email
Servings: 4 to 6
- 14- to 16- ounce tub extra-firm tofu
- 1 tablespoon dark sesame oil (or use a neutral oil like safflower
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium natural soy sauce or tamari
- 1 medium red bell pepper diced or cut into strips
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 4 scallions white and green parts, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger or more to taste
- 1 to 1 ½ cups frozen green peas completely thawed
- 3 to 4 cups cooked brown rice long- or medium-grain
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Soy sauce or tamari to taste
- ½ cup peanut halves
- Cut the tofu into 6 slabs crosswise and blot very well between layers of paper towel or clean tea towel. (if you have a tofu press, press the tofu ahead of time). Cut the slabs into dice.
- Heat the oil along with 1 tablespoon of the soy sauce in a large skillet or steep-sided stir-fry pan. Add the tofu and stir quickly to coat. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring frequently until golden brown and on most sides.
- Stir in the bell pepper and garlic and cook over medium-high heat for 2 minutes.
- Add the scallions, ginger and green peas and continue to cook for a minute or so.
- Add the rice and stir everything together. Continue to cook until the rice is piping hot (how long depends on if you add hot or cold rice).
- Season with pepper, additional soy sauce or tamari, and more ginger, if you’d like. Remove from the heat and serve at once.
Calories: 416kcal | Carbohydrates: 51g | Protein: 20g | Fat: 16g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 6g | Monounsaturated Fat: 6g | Sodium: 326mg | Potassium: 652mg | Fiber: 8g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 1467IU | Vitamin C: 63mg | Calcium: 93mg | Iron: 4mg
Vegan-ize any recipe!Grab our free vegan cheat sheet, packed with my favorite easy substitutions to make any recipe vegan.
- Explore more classic rice dishes.
- Here are more easy tofu recipes.
Dorothy Williams says
send me the recipe , thank-you
Dorothy, I'm not sure what you mean, as you commented on the recipe itself. Do you mean you want a printed version of it? If so, you can find the print buttons right below the recipe.
Is it one tablespoon soy sauce or tamari plus more to taste or is there more that should be used?
Margie, sorry, I can see how that would have been confusing, as we even left out the word "tablespoon" from the ingredient list when the soy sauce or tamari is first referenced. All is fixed now, and it will be much clearer. Thanks for noticing!