Here's a recipe for a comforting Potato Casserole with Tofu and Green Chilies. Both comforting and invigorating, this is good served with refried beans, or another simple bean dish, and a colorful salad.
Potato Casserole with Tofu and Green Chilies
Serves: 4 to 6
- 4–5 medium red-skinned or golden potatoes
- 2 tbsp safflower oil
- 1 (14–16 oz) tub extra-firm tofu, blotted well and diced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, quartered and thinly sliced
- 2–3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1–2 fresh hot chili peppers OR 1 (4 oz) can green chilies, chopped
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp unbleached white flour
- ⅔ cup plain rice milk
- salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 ½ cups grated cheddar-style nondairy cheese
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Cook, bake, or microwave the potatoes in their skins. When cool enough to handle, peel and dice them, then transfer to a large mixing bowl and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet. Add the diced tofu and cook over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until the pieces are lightly golden on most sides. Transfer to the mixing bowl.
- In the same skillet, heat the olive oil. Add the onion and garlic and sauté until the onion is lightly browned. Stir in the chilies and seasonings. Sprinkle in the flour and stir until it dissolves. Pour in the rice milk and stir together. Simmer until the liquid thickens.
- Combine the skillet mixture with the potatoes and tofu. Stir together, then season with salt and pepper. Pour into a lightly oiled large shallow baking dish. Sprinkle with the grated cheese.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and the casserole starts to become golden brown along the edges. Let the casserole stand for 5 minutes, then serve.
- Browse more of VegKitchen’s vegan casserole recipes.
- Here are more easy, tasty potato recipes.
Leave a Reply